Samsung NX 300 shutter button issue

Brian style

Regular
I was out shooting with my NX300, everything performed normally, and then out of the blue, my shutter button stopped operating properly. Half pressing would not focus, full press would not take a picture. It lost nearly all functionality. I say nearly because the only way the shutter button worked at all was in waking the camera up from sleep: A full press of the shutter button would wake the camera up (but nothing more).
If I'm reviewing a picture, or if I'm in the menu system, pressing the shutter will not send it back to shooting mode. So as of now I can only take a photo using the touchscreen's press to focus and shoot.

Anyone else ever have this problem suddenly come up? I'm assuming I'll have to send it in to be repaired. One minute it was working fine and 2 mins later it wouldn't work anymore :(

I checked for a setting that would affect shutter button operation but didn't find anything that affected the button. I can turn off focus and/or shutter release with the touch screen, but can not affect shutter button operation.

I wasn't in the menu system at all between it working and not working. It worked for about 5 or 6 shots then I walked for a couple of minutes and when I tried to shoot again, it didn't work. Seems like some sort of connector inside came apart (weak solder maybe)?

Just to update and close out this thread for future reference :) :

Did have to send in the NX300 for service. It was only 4 months "old" so still under warranty. Samsung emailed the prepaid 1 day shipping labels. Printed off, stuck on a box, and dropped off at at UPS store. Took about 5 days from dropping it off to getting it back to my doorstep, so very impressed.
They replaced the entire tip plate (brushed aluminum looking all classy). Shutter button working as it should again. The process was pretty painless and very quick.

Back