Nikon Nikon 1 which color, and why.

walter_g

Regular
1) Im really curious to know If you bought a certain color, and why.

2) Aftermarket grip, or not.

3) Which model Nikon 1, and why.

I will start.

1) I chose black because It has a satin finish, and is hopefully less slippery then the white and red models.
Also It would make a better stealth camera.
Im hoping this makes a great camera to take to car shows, and other events.

2) Im waiting till I use It more to decide If I need a grip or not. I would like member feedback on brand and If you like yours or not. Im thinking about a 1/2 case like I have on a few or My rangefinder cams.

3) I chose the J1 strictly on price $160 usd for a refurb kit with the 10-30 Lens.
Otherwise the V1 would of been My first choice.
The J1 is pretty easy to shoot with. I use grid view.

I thought this would make a fun and informative thread, and I didnt see a thread about this on the Forum.
Thanks, Walter.

Sent from my HTC One V using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I had a black one when the V1 first came out, my second was a white model, it looked great with the silver 32 and 18, FT-1 and grip. The only thing I didn't consider is when shooting at night through glass, the white reflected much more than the black so I ended up having to mask the body with black cloth.

I had a black one when the V1 first came out, my second was a white model, it looked great with the silver 32 and 18, FT-1 and grip. The only thing I didn't consider is when shooting at night through glass, the white reflected much more than the black so I ended up having to mask the body with black cloth.

Wow. Never even considered the issue of reflections.
Thanks for mentioning It.

Black V1 for me. No interest in the colors.

Went with the V1 for the VF with the intention of shooting sports.

Fotodiox grip, which is excellent imo. I couldn't use the V1 "naked".

The grip gets in the way of changing the battery and pulling the CF card out - not really an issue but it can get annoying.
If you use it on a tripod it can also get in the way

got to be black and the cheapest V1

I have a Fotodiix grip on my V1 and unlike the nikon version you can easily change battery and card with it fitted. It's a well made and a good design.

White.
Because that's definitely what Luke would buy.
He might agree to buy the aftermarket grip if the black highlights make it look more like a stormtrooper but then it would have to be a V2…the most stormtrooper of them all.

:laugh1:

The V1 with fotodiox grip is a brick. An easy to hold brick with a reassuring amount of heft !
The V1 + fd grip And the 32mm would be capable of inflicting serious damage should you drop it on your foot . Having said that. You do know you are carrying a fine piece of kit . The combination Is a joy to use.

V1 Black. Because I got it used and I'm not choosy. Have the Nikon grip but don't like having to remove it for battery/card. Don't really need it with any of the lenses I have TBH.

I do have the 18.5mm in silver. Kind of with that I had gotten black, but I'll live.

Thanks, everyone thats posted so far.
I just placed an order for a black Nikon 1/2 case to Match My camera.
I will post back how well It works as soon as I get It.

At first I've bought a V1 in black. Later I've added a black J3. I think it's attracting less attention and it is cheaper here.
The 30-110mm is white , the 32mm silver, 18.5 and 10-30mm are black.
No grip, but I taped both for a better grip.

I decided to buy a grip. I already have a half case so I wanted a grip I could easily take off, so I could switch back to My half case when I wanted to.
So that eliminated any of the stick on grips.

So I was thinking about one of the nice Fotodiox grips with the Access for the battery.
Guess what, Fotodiox dosent make a grip for the J1. :eek:

Option 1.
So im left with buying one of the $16 grips with the knurled wheel on the bottom. They wont sit flat. Quality .?

Option 2 is a nice locking grip with flat bottom on EBay for $22.
Looks like really nice quality, but they only have them in white.
My camera is black.
:banghead:

Option 3 is the factory grip. Price on Amazon has dropped to $47 with free shipping.

Kinda painful paying $47 for a grip for a camera you only paid $160 for.

Im still seaching but these look like the only options.
Ofcourse their is....

Option 4 saving up for a V1 and buying the Fotodiox grip.

So im not sure what im going to do. I think the grip is going to be needed when I shoot with Legacy glass.
Any advice is welcome.

Wow. Never even considered the issue of reflections.
Thanks for mentioning It.

I was just about to write that too :)
Doesn't even have to be at night.
We took a bus tour through a volcanic park a long time ago. It was a sunny day and my silver Canon Powershot G3 was a real problem when taking pictures through the glass. Only black cameras since then :)

Back