Winter has not yet passed

bbrrrrr. Glad we did not have much of a winter over here. But you had an incredible winter! Very nice photos.

Bill - it's wonderful to see you baaaack! These are cool photos - pun intended - is that one of those art filters..maybe "water color" effects? My favorite is your second - the simplicity of the colors adds to it, I think. There's a real feeling of depth...perhaps more so in this painterly version than you saw in your original? A beautiful woodland scene with that sun just sliding down below the horizon.

No, winter hath not yet passed up here either...but they do say spring is coming, so we must keep the faith!

pniev - as I understand it, Europe had some bad winters over the last few years, so I guess it's our turn!

Steve and BB -- Everything around here is still covered in about 12 inches of dirty white snow, so I thought I'd see what the watercolor setting would do here, especially in the evening light. I do rather like it.

BB -- thanks for the welcome back. I hope to drop in from time to time, though I'm simply shooting less than I used to. How's the snow down your way? Do you still have a big base of snow, or is it (at last) starting to melt?

We still have a big base of snow with a thick under belly of solid ice. Brief melting last week when we hit the mid 40s (balmy weather!) but back down to below zero at night and maybe the 20s in the day if it's a sunny day. I know we'll be sweating soon, though!;)

I haven't been taking too many pix either, Bill...but hope that as the weather improves and the ability to walk places comes back that I will be.

A very dense, crusty, bitter 6 inches or so on the ground in Boston. Temps all week are below freezing, period, so when the sun slightly melts the top layer at mid-day, it refreezes again shortly. Slowly, day by day, we trade a quarter inch of forgiving snow for impenetrable ice. I can now walk across it without sinking in so much as a centimeter, like an elf in a Tolkien story. The lumbering shoulders of snow that never got cleared from the bike lanes have now turned into something with a density just shy of concrete.

I hear you about the layer of ice on the snow... I'm getting to be nervous that my dog might slide down the incline at the edge of our property when he skids to catch his frisbee. Been eyeing those metal cleat things from LL Bean...

Welcome back, Bill! (Though I think I saw you post a comment a few days ago in mu43, but that may have been my eye playing a trick on me.)

Really like that second one, too. In terms of snow I think this year is only as bad as last year, but the number of days below freezing seems never-ending. A measure of how bad the winter is is that my winter-loving kids also can't wait for spring. I imagine all of us here ARE. JUST. TIRED. of it.

Welcome back, Bill! (Though I think I saw you post a comment a few days ago in mu43, but that may have been my eye playing a trick on me.)

Really like that second one, too. In terms of snow I think this year is only as bad as last year, but the number of days below freezing seems never-ending. A measure of how bad the winter is is that my winter-loving kids also can't wait for spring. I imagine all of us here ARE. JUST. TIRED. of it.

Hi Hyubie!
Yeah, I was thinking about the GX7, until I came to my senses (nice camera -- I just don't need to purchase). Stick with my RX100, which has become my "primary" shooter.

I agree with you on the weather. My dog has loved the winter in the past, but she's been in a lot this year, I think mainly because of the temps! Usually we get a couple of weeks (1 to 3) in the 50s, 60s. Nothing this year, and way too many sub-zero days.

Back