A matter of color rendition . . .

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
I am enthusiastic photographer of the daytime sky. This morning's eastern sky was showing some promise, so I dashed outside with the G12 and FZ200.

I set both cameras to Vivid and -1 exposure compensation.

The first shot is a straight-out-of-camera jpeg from the FZ200

FZ200_Winter_Sunrise_004_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The second is a raw file from the same exposure, processed through DXO 9 and my "sky" preset

FZ200_Winter_Sunrise_004_DxO_Medium_.jpg

The last is a SOOC jpeg from the G12.

G12_Winter_Sunrise_004_Medium_.JPG

The G12 renders the sky bluer, and I like that. There is a bit of vignetting in the corners of the FZ200 raw file.

Overall, I think I like the results from the G12 better for this type of shot.

Cheers, Jock

Lovely colors, Jock.

There are a few things that lead to the blue sky that are more than just "color rendition". If you look at the color of the snow (something I do often in snowy photos because I come from a snowy area...LOL), the FZ200 got the color temperature correct. The snow is white. If you adjusted the WB for that photo to match the output of the Cnaon, you would get bluer everything.....including the sky.

The Canon shot also seems slightly less exposed. It appears maybe 1/3 or 1/2 stop darker.......which also yields darker, richer colors.

I think if these two variables were evened out, the differences would be less pronounced. That's why comparisons between two cameras is so difficult.

Lovely colors, Jock.

There are a few things that lead to the blue sky that are more than just "color rendition". If you look at the color of the snow (something I do often in snowy photos because I come from a snowy area...LOL), the FZ200 got the color temperature correct. The snow is white. If you adjusted the WB for that photo to match the output of the Cnaon, you would get bluer everything.....including the sky.

The Canon shot also seems slightly less exposed. It appears maybe 1/3 or 1/2 stop darker.......which also yields darker, richer colors.

I think if these two variables were evened out, the differences would be less pronounced. That's why comparisons between two cameras is so difficult.

Luke,

Thank you so much. One of the things I love about seriouscompacts is the kind expertise of the folks here. I learn a great deal.

Cheers, Jock
PS -- You don't get blue snow where you live? :D

WB is always tough in snowy scenes. As I look out my window this morning, I see white snow, but areas in the shade do have a blue cast to them. In the past, I have certainly been guilty of OVER correcting WB issues. So now when I'm out shooting snowy scenes, I make a mental note of what the scene looks like. If you're shooting in the golden hour, the snow may even have a golden color cast.

So never ever trust just your camera to get it right. Look at the scene and make a mental note. Review your shot right away and check the color temperature to see if it matches up with what you are seeing.

Initially I preferred the last one but seeing them in the gallery side by side it looks less realistic the first probably the most natural

without comparison they all work though

Yes, snow is a challenge to digital cameras. Lots of time I'll go b&w to get away from the white and blue snow. Obviously not an option for a sunset or sunrise photo where you want to show the color.

Another observation, as far as the two Fz200 files the DXO one has a thicker look to it. Now someone is going going to ask me what I mean by thick. I've gotta warn you, this is going to get very objective and scientific. I perceive more depth in the colors. Like if this was paper, I could scrape a little of the color off the surface and it would be saturated through to the deeper levels.

Some camera jpgs look thin to me. In this case the jpg looks thinner than the raw, but I don't think the fz200 has bad jpgs at all and the two photos I've posted in the Fz200 forum are sooc jpg.

The Canon G1X jpgs seem thinner to me than the G12 for instance.

Back