Micro 4/3 Pentax M SMC 50mm f1.8 on E-PL5

Dewi Sant

Veteran
Name
Guess?
This arrived today, I bought it just over a week ago from a guy in one of the flooded areas of the UK so I wasn't expecting it just yet! For the £15 it went for, it's more than just ok - bit of a bargain really as it's in great condition. The optics are like new. My first legacy lens.

pentax_zps673e3237.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've owned 7 different Pentax 50s. Not a real surprise since I shot Pentax for many years. I currently have the K 50 1.4 and the M 50 macro f4. They have always been among my very favorite lenses.

Ah! the radioactive one, Sue ;) Almost bought one that I had earmarked but I put a bid on the 50mm just for devilment not thinking it would go for such a low price. I'll see how it fares and if I don't like it for any reason I can always pop it back on e.bay and look for another 55mm.

I'm just in the process of trying to cajole the girldog into being my "mogle" so I can try the 50mm out but she's in sleepy mode at the moment - nothing is more immovable than a sleepy Josie :)

What!! Dry and crispy??

I Know, LP - i'm already looking for a 135mm and a 35mm to take on my travels. Considering I bought the Pen to save hunking around my DSLR gear, at this rate I'll have a heavier bag of M43 stuff than my Canon ever was! I'm going to have to be very selective in what I take, the car boot is tiny. Once my wife Liz has packed all of her stuff my allocation of space is usually very small :)

Before I switched my system gear over from Canon to Micro 4/3 I had quite a few older MF lenses to use on an E-P1 and then an E-PL1, mostly OMs and FDs. I still have some of them but don't use them so much since I bought some of the native AF primes of similar focal lengths. It's a good bit of fun to get one of them out from time to time and see if I can still go "all manual".

I'd say so but maybe I'm biased as I really like retro stuff. Manual focusing makes you somehow "more involved" in the image taking process. Besides, the adaptors are cheap as chips so even if you don't get on with older lenses there's very little to be lost. The 1.4 50mm SMC is supposed to be a cracker on M43 cameras

Back