What now?

Steve Noel

In Memorium
Starting over, with an almost clean slate. Selling almost all my gear. Kept a couple of OM mount lenses, (one of them is the OM 50mm, f3.5 macro) at least for now. Due to fixed income, that allows for very limited money, for my lifelong photography "habit", I will have to buy used. I almost always have and do.

Now for some criteria requirements/limitations on choices.

Just cannot move back to a sensor smaller than m4/3.
Don't really need or want anything shorter or longer than 28mm - 135mm equiv.
I have been shooting with 24/25mm and 50mm (mostly the 50mm), on 4/3 and mostly content with them.
Due to aging eyes, I need very good viewing, LCD, etc. Flip up would be nice, but not required. I mostly shoot with the LCD, even when I have a VF.
I love close-up, macro work.
And here is the biggest obstacle (other than money :)). My hands are becoming arthritic and jerky/ twitchy, when making precise movements, such as camera adjustments, mouse movements etc. So, camera controls need to be usable with thin gloves, which then makes easier for my old hands. And for the same reasons, too light in weight, makes it impossible to hand hold steady. So, I mostly shoot with tripod, mono pod, or "locked down" on some steady surface.
I don't usually walk and carry equipment, more than an hour. Almost never carry a bag, although, I will sometimes use one to leave in the vehicle.

I've been looking back over the last several cameras that I have owned, to try to determine which meets those requirements, and there are not many, even close. My wife's Panasonic GF5, with the Olympus 14-42 IIr, is a cute and very capable tiny bundle that I some times use in a pinch, Just is not an option, Too small and fiddly for the old stiff hands.

This, is not so much a cry for help, as a discussion of "starting over", within strict limitations. I have kept abreast of the camera market, and trends. There are many choices, but limited options, when you put specific limitations in place.

If physical and financial limitations, suddenly (or not so suddenly) caused you to rethink your photography "needs", where would you look? (and there is, just no thinking about, not doing photography, as long as possible :))

Thoughts?

yga4aben.jpg

asegapa5.jpg

a4a5ama2.jpg

8e4ata2a.jpg

try these with gloves on.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

I think the camera I might recommend for you Steve, would be the Panasonic G1. Nice chunky grip, not too small, tilt and swivel LCD screen and the used market should be pretty flush with them. It was the camera that got me into m43 to start with and if low light shooting wasn't a priority for me, I'd likely still have it.

Good luck with your search.

I think the camera I might recommend for you Steve, would be the Panasonic G1. Nice chunky grip, not too small, tilt and swivel LCD screen and the used market should be pretty flush with them. It was the camera that got me into m43 to start with and if low light shooting wasn't a priority for me, I'd likely still have it.

Good luck with your search.

G1 - Yep with the 20mm f1.7 lens
Body cheap as "chips" these days but is really good!

You know if you get 21 replies you are going to have 22 opinions and 23 recommendations, right? ;)

Let me go lateral; get yourself a GR for 80-90% of your shooting. I'd then go with the recommendations already made for a G1. With any spare cash I would get yourself the most up to date processing software you can - that makes more of a difference than the shiniest new sensor.

Steve, it sounds like weight and a bit of bulk are your friends now, rather than your foes. That leads me to want to recommend a used DSLR with a few prime lenses in your preferred focal lengths. Or possibly one good fast zoom. Full frame if you can or APS for some real bargains. The only problem is that these really are still designed around shooting through the OVF. Most have a semi-usable live-view, but mirrorless live view is a lot better, IMHO, since the whole thing is designed around it.

You might want to look at something like a Sony SLT (A57, 77, OR whatever model numbers they're using these days. These have DSLR size and bulk for the most part, but generally come with decent flip up screens as well as an EVF. The have translucent "Mirrors" for PDAF, although they don't actually move or flip out of the way for the shot). They can be had quite inexpensively, and there's a decent enough line of lenses available for them, both zooms and primes. I shot with an A33 briefly about 3 years ago and was quite impressed with it, and I'm sure they're better today. Nice APS sensor.

Something to consider anyway...

-Ray

I agree that the G1 is worth considering. I don't have one at the moment, but I enjoyed using it when I had it.The reason I moved on to something else was a tendency towards blown highlights. You might be able to work your way around that better than me.

and if you do consider a slt, i've an a77 that's been sitting. if you go as far back as minolta's a-mount, then you've a lot of options. i will say, if low light is important, then you're better off looking the other way. unless you're into long exposure shooting.

G1 - Yep with the 20mm f1.7 lens
Body cheap as "chips" these days but is really good!

Yeah, the G1 is dirt cheap, but the G5 can be had for about $200-250 for the body (I sold one for that not long ago) and it's got a LOT nicer sensor than the G1. If you want to stick with m43, I'd recommend looking at that level. Or maybe a GH2, which is a little chunkier yet... Or perhaps EM10 if the price is within reach...

-Ray

Had the G1, and liked the body as well as anything I have ever used. A daughter owns it now. Actually two of my daughters have owned it. My concern is the noise is quite noticeable, though not terrible. Actually considering the G1,2 or 5. Don't like the G3. I had one. Let a daughter have it.

and if you do consider a slt, i've an a77 that's been sitting. if you go as far back as minolta's a-mount, then you've a lot of options. i will say, if low light is important, then you're better off looking the other way. unless you're into long exposure shooting.

I do low light, but with tripod. I rarely shoot over ISO200.

I also disliked the G3.....and felt that the G5 was more or less the same thing. Is a used GH2 within the budget? I know they had held their value for a really long time, but maybe with the announcement of that amazing looking GH4 a few more will shake loose.

Back