For those of you suffering through Arctic Vortex 2 (like me)

swandy

Regular
For those of you suffering through Arctic Vortex 2 (like me), here are three shots taken this past weekend of the Deerfield Beach Fishing Pier in Florida (before we were stupid enough to return to NYC). Olympus Stylus 1. Two with Art Filters, (Grainy B&W and Dynamic Tone) third was RAW and processed through Olympus Viewer.

I'm loving the arctic/polar vortex. On Monday we walked down to the National Zoo where we were finally able to visit Bao Bao, the five month old panda cub. Monday was a nice day, and a holiday, so the queue to see her was 1.5 hours and even at the back of the queue there were lots of kids starting to complain. We decided to give it a miss.

This morning I went down at 10am when the zoo opened. It was allegedly 16F, about -9C (though I don't believe weather forecasts in the US since they all seem to feel the need to exaggerate. Nonetheless, it was still quite chilly.) As I expected there was almost no-one there. In the thirty minutes I was there no more than seven or eight other people came by. Better yet, Bao Bao was out of her den and being sickeningly cute - something she does with considerable ease.

I'm hoping for another couple of days of icy cold weather so I can go back with my camera and get some pictures of her. In the meantime you can see her on the panda cam.

Swandy, thanks for these pictures - my favorite is the second, no matter how you achieved those color tones. Your title threw me...I thought to myself what "arctic vortex" in Florida?!?!

Got up to zero yesterday...but we're in a warming trend, I think...instead of minus 12 F on my thermometer at 7:30AM, it was minus 8 today.:friends:

olli, baby Panda, baby Panda, baby Panda Bao Bao pix - did he have his snowsuit on?

OK. For those who asked here is a picture of Bao Bao (the panda cub) taken this morning. Not the greatest pic in the world - shot through glass at 3200 ISO while being surrounded and jostled by hoards of over excited kiddies (and their over excited parents.) But cute none the less.

<center>
12200126856_dc6c56438e_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC01499 by ...olli..., on Flickr</center>

Swandy, thanks for these pictures - my favorite is the second, no matter how you achieved those color tones. Your title threw me...I thought to myself what "arctic vortex" in Florida?!?!

Got up to zero yesterday...but we're in a warming trend, I think...instead of minus 12 F on my thermometer at 7:30AM, it was minus 8 today.:friends:

olli, baby Panda, baby Panda, baby Panda Bao Bao pix - did he have his snowsuit on?

Thank you for reminding me why I fled the Northeast 22 years ago. We have winter here -- but.....

I'm loving the arctic/polar vortex. On Monday we walked down to the National Zoo where we were finally able to visit Bao Bao, the five month old panda cub. Monday was a nice day, and a holiday, so the queue to see her was 1.5 hours and even at the back of the queue there were lots of kids starting to complain. We decided to give it a miss.

This morning I went down at 10am when the zoo opened. It was allegedly 16F, about -9C (though I don't believe weather forecasts in the US since they all seem to feel the need to exaggerate. Nonetheless, it was still quite chilly.) As I expected there was almost no-one there. In the thirty minutes I was there no more than seven or eight other people came by. Better yet, Bao Bao was out of her den and being sickeningly cute - something she does with considerable ease.

I'm hoping for another couple of days of icy cold weather so I can go back with my camera and get some pictures of her. In the meantime you can see her on the panda cam.

How can you possibly like the polar vortex?! No one else was at the zoo that day because they were home protecting life and limb! :D

The polar vortex is going to destroy life as we know it, turn our brains to frozen pudding -- a very nice ice cream flavor, but not a nice cerebral condition. Polar Bears are going to be wandering Central Park, and folks like you, who will go out into the cold to look are going to get eaten by them. :eek:

No, I'm afraid the polar vortex is a very bad thing that is going to destroy the already frost-bitten remnants of civilization as we know it. It's a cryin' shame.

How can you possibly like the polar vortex?! No one else was at the zoo that day because they were home protecting life and limb! :D

The polar vortex is going to destroy life as we know it, turn our brains to frozen pudding -- a very nice ice cream flavor, but not a nice cerebral condition. Polar Bears are going to be wandering Central Park, and folks like you, who will go out into the cold to look are going to get eaten by them. :eek:

No, I'm afraid the polar vortex is a very bad thing that is going to destroy the already frost-bitten remnants of civilization as we know it. It's a cryin' shame.

Well, yeah, but OTHER than that, a bit of a cold spell can be rather refreshing... :cool:

-Ray

Well I'm from Northern climes originally so I prefer the cold - not that it ever got this cold.But having spent most of the last 8-9 years baking in South East Europe and sweating in the misery of Washington summers I find the razor sharp dry cold refreshingly brisk.

I'm afraid I'd make a poor meal for a polar bear, but ending up as a polar bear snack isn't the worst thing in the world.

Back