Sigma Dartmoor walk around Sheepstor (7 images)

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
Another morning with periods of excellent clear winter light saw me walking around the Sheepstor area of Dartmoor. Looking north from above the village with the flat topped Sheepstor itself in the background and on the horizon to the left of Sheepstor the pencil thin mast of the BBC transmitter at North Hessary Tor, the lower part shrouded in cloud. It is barely visible at this resolution, but can be seen in the original.

140120-DP1M0409.jpg

Walking down into the village we see the dominant feature, the granite church with an old restored cross

140120-DP1M0410.jpg

Many old lichen covered tombstones in the church yard. There is some considerable interest in the church, I will have to return when wellington boots aren't the required footwear

140120-DP1M0413.jpg

Looking back towards the church on the road out that leads back up to the high moor

140120-DP1M0417.jpg

About half a mile out of the village Collyton farm with some penned up calves and a bonfire in the farm yard

140120-P2M0515.jpg

In a barn an abandoned tractor

140120-P2M0519.jpg

Back up on the high moor this is the view over Nattor farm looking north

140120-P2M0521.jpg

DP1M and DP2M cameras used

Barrie

I love to experience your part of England with you, Barrie. I've only been to your country once, so far...and that was back way too many years ago when I was - gulp - 14 years old. I'll never forget it and loved all of our three weeks there. My brother got married in Henley-on-Thames but my parents, I and my older sister made a vacation of it and traveled quite a bit, however if memory serves (that's 50 plus years ago:eek:), we did not get to visit Dartmoor. We did, however visit The Lake District which I fell in love with...but I digress!

Barrie, is this an area that you are quite close to? I also can't get over how green everything is while it is still winter! We don't really retain those colors over here in the northeaster part of the USA.

Lovely Dartmoor collection !!

My wife and i, we love the English countryside and especially Exmoor & Dartmoor.
It's almost 20 years ago since we've been there...
It was our last trip outside the Netherlands so we have some beautiful memories...
Every glimpse on BBC 1 & 2 (and thanks to your serie) brings us back... ( we're great fans of the BBC series "Countryfile" & "Spring watch" )

Thank You !!

I love to experience your part of England with you, Barrie. I've only been to your country once, so far...and that was back way too many years ago when I was - gulp - 14 years old. I'll never forget it and loved all of our three weeks there. My brother got married in Henley-on-Thames but my parents, I and my older sister made a vacation of it and traveled quite a bit, however if memory serves (that's 50 plus years ago:eek:), we did not get to visit Dartmoor. We did, however visit The Lake District which I fell in love with...but I digress!

Barrie, is this an area that you are quite close to? I also can't get over how green everything is while it is still winter! We don't really retain those colors over here in the northeaster part of the USA.

Just for you BB, I live just over an hour's drive from the Lake Distirct. We have Wales a similar distance to the south and my beautiful Yorkshre Dales to the East - it's why I ride a motorcycle! :) You should pay us a visit once again. Apologies to Barrie for hi-jacking his thread.

4-110504_zps8c5af613.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2-110504_zps93c270d3.jpg

6-110414_zps129c2fe1.jpg

BB, the south western slopes of Dartmoor are visible from the Plymouth area and if it wasn't for the hill inbetween they'd be visible from where I live, so quite close (a 30 minute drive sees me out onto the moor). Our winters are normally mild and wet, and this year looks like setting the record for being the wettest, so the grass tends to grow for around 300 days a year, that fact and the hilly nature of the terrain historically had made this a livestock rearing area rather than an arable one. Although you can't easily make them out down near the farmhouse in the last shot there were a few early lambs which, given the altitude came as a bit of a surprise even to me. There can be exceptions, the winter of 1962/63 saw some communities on the moor cut off by snow for 12 weeks with food for both people and animals being dropped from helicopters.

Barrie

Back