23rd Serious Compacts Salon Challenge – Sloe Black, Crow Black - Winner Announced

ReD

Hall of Famer
23rd Serious Compacts Salon Challenge – Sloe Black, Crow Black

Welcome to the 22nd serious compacts salon challenge..... your theme for the challenge is Sloe Black, Crow Black
Sloe-Black, Crow Black.

Taking inspiration from Dylan Thomas’s Under Milk Wood for this

Sloe - Black, Crow - Black
Looking for additional synonyms to add to the poem

Not looking for “Black as ….. “ (but its your choice)

The salon starts today Jan 1st and shall run for 2 weeks plus a bit, ending on Sunday Jan 19th
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules are simple................

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. There are several ways to add your photos to the current salon thread: 1. upload your entry to your SC user gallery (all entries must be present in an SC gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the SC forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun. (Don't know about the "gallery" yet? Then read this: SC Gallery FAQ please read it carefully if you are new to using the site's software.) 2. embed from Flickr or another similar web hosting photo site and 3. use the attachment method. All three are explained here:How to post images in forum threads

3. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

4. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon. (like Hell)

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

8. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

Good Luck and a Creative New Year to All

Roger

Time for an anecdote

I grew up in the same town as Dylan Thomas & went to the same Grammar School as him. As a boy he edited the school magazine. We were constantly reminded of him. There are some rather good portrait paintings in the local Art Gallery by members of his Kardomah gang. I’ve met people who say they got drunk with the man and I often drink in the same pubs he frequented. There is usually a portrait. Strange how people want to lay claim and form an association with genius however tenuous.

A while ago I wondered what type of fountain pen he used so contacted a local historian and Dylan aficionado. He didn’t have a clue. (Which if I were unscrupulous this leaves the gate open for a couple of my old Osmiroids.) Anyway once we cleared that up the historian then went onto tell me that on his American lecture tours Dylan would often find himself short of drinking money. Being of a resourceful nature he put pen to paper and wrote out a couple of his old poems, crumple them up and then sold them as originals on a hush hush wink wink don’t tell anyone discretely basis to the dinner jackets & tiaras who visited backstage.

That story made the man live for me more than any of the myths and legends I was brought up with.

I don't know if I'll have anything to contribute, but it's been decades since I read "Under MIlkwood". Thanks for reminding me it's time to give it another look-see.

I'm a big enough man to admit I don't know what the heck he is prattling on about (I even made it through 2 minutes of that video clip). Is there a "Cliff's notes" or should I just submit a dark image and pretend I'm cool.

I'm not slagging poets or those who admire their work. I just want to know the gist of the thing so I can create a pertinent image.

Luke (and everyone else) the intention was not to match the poem exactly, but more to find & photo something black like coal for example, then give it a name like Coal- Black or whatever

Under Milk Wood is set in a village called Llareggub - spell it backwards

Luke, give this version of Under Milk Wood, featuring Richard Burton, a listen:
I don't pretend to understand everything, myself. However, I find this version much easier to digest. I think you might, as well.

Now, I'm off to find a suitable dark image......appropriately named, of course!

Sometimes you need white seagulls in the dark, not crows, with the biggest lighthouse in land:

original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rain Black

02XA17%20copy-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

More Sloe-Black than Coal-black, but aside from a large format shot of the inside of my fireplace taken many years ago, it's the only shot I could come up with. Shot on an Olympus XA with Ilford HP-5+, developed in HC110 dilution H, then scanned with a Coolscan 9000. (Love that little XA, by the way! It certainly is compact.)

Back