24th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - Impressions! Winner announced!!

Ive been experimenting - I see no reason not to use a tripod even with camera movement

moving the camera in one plane - sideways / vertically / or rocking provides different results but a bit more stabilised

I've also mounted the camera with a thin plate between the camera & the head - boing !!! it

I agree ReD. I definitely find it easier to get a targeted "look" by using a tripod to limit the motion to one direction. Of course, for some images a more scattered approach may work best. In general, it's best to experiment.

Dammit, I have this print on my wall that I shot with a $100 Nikon Coolpix in 2008, and I have no idea if the file still exists. I shot it over my shoulder, walking across a bridge between the South End of Boston and Southie, of my wife and our friend. Didn't even look to frame it, just turned it on / aimed in their general direction / fired. The light trails from the street lights make this J shape from the movement, and the details are all nicely blurred, but you can still see that she's dressed to go out and has fantastic legs.

I coulda won this sucker.

bdm6g1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As good as it gets from me

Shot in my front yard a few moments ago... 3 seconds swivelling from the ground up, on my golden cane palms. I like the one frond visible in foreground, it was much closer to me, I expected it to be washed out with everything else (and in some other shots it was, but I liked this best). Needless to say at f16 it was still a bit washed out so some judicious PP in Photoshop did the rest (no software filters, only an ND8 on the camera)

View attachment 84761

Back