Sony HDR on RX 100

DaveO

Regular
Does the RX 100 do HDR?
I've been looking at the RX 100 and the Fuji X 20 to replace my smaller sensor Samsung TL 350. Anyone have experience with both cameras to give me an idea which would be better as a pocketable p&s?

The RX100 has a built-in HDR mode that combines 3 exposures. It doesn't save the individual frames, only the combined jpeg. It does a very good job of aligning them, for static subjects it's generally very usable, and it doesn't look excessively tonemapped.
If you want to do HDRs with software on your computer it's less suited, it can only do +/- 0.7 EV exposure bracketing.

I have the RX100 and had the X10. The RX100 is a better camera in virtually every way, unless you consider how fun it is to use. I don't dislike shooting with the RX100, but the X10 was a real joy. The X20 is better with upgraded OVF. But the X20 is not very pocketable imo.

The Sony is smaller with larger sensor, shoots much better video, and does more tricks.

I looked at Best Buy on the internet and both cameras are available through Best Buy. I don't know if they are both in stock at the store, however. I'll call one or two of the locations in Knoxville to find out.

Back