Leica No Cure

christilou

Legend
I've had the M and the 50 Summilux for about a month now and have dithered about keeping it or not but I think I'm going to commit to it finally. My pictures are hit and miss as always and no it hasn't made me a better photographer :rolleyes: when I look at the hits I can see it's potential I just need to try and improve myself. On a sadder note, it hasn't cured my gas, I'm still eyeing up the new Sonys. On the plus side I've been married for thirty years so it does prove that I can commit to some relationships ;)

Wow Christine I'd love to know why you were wondering to ditch the m with a 50 is like the perfect combo of what it seems the perfect 50mm lens with an almost perfect sensor or so some would say. Is not really that good or what?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I think we should also extend our sympathy to your husband. It can't be easy living with someone for 30 years who constantly suffers with gas.

-R

+1 to that!

My wife is having a hard time putting up with my GAS, and we are still a week shy of one year! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts mobile app

On a more serious note, it's hard to give up a Leica once you've had it. I haven't used my M9 for a while, and have considered selling it many times. But I can't for one reason or another. I am telling myself that the A7r will make me give up the M9. But I fear that might be just one of the justifications I'm using to get an A7r.

Another camera that holds power over me is the X100. I've listed it for sale at least two or three times. And then withdrew it even after I had potential buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Armanius, we should be married..... we could live with our gas in complete harmony LOL! I too have bought and sold a couple of X100s and bought and sold an X100s..... yet still I hanker for that original X100 AND the new Sonys. Think I may have just sold my Ricoh GR though. I liked it well enough and it takes great photos but no viewfinder means I'm doing a lot of point and hope. Still trying to sell my EM5 and the 75mm though.

I've had the M and the 50 Summilux for about a month now and have dithered about keeping it or not but I think I'm going to commit to it finally. My pictures are hit and miss as always and no it hasn't made me a better photographer :rolleyes: when I look at the hits I can see it's potential I just need to try and improve myself. On a sadder note, it hasn't cured my gas, I'm still eyeing up the new Sonys. On the plus side I've been married for thirty years so it does prove that I can commit to some relationships ;)

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner but thought I'd respond anyway. I felt the same way after a month with my Leica M-E. Before buying the M-E I had only held the M-9 for less than 5 minutes while in Barcelona last summer. At that time I thought the M9 format was too big as compared to my GXR kit and the rangefinder focusing system had me baffled.

However, once I had the M-E in hand I was not going to let it go. I spend a lot of time in hotels as I travel for work and I practice constantly focusing and experimenting with how the meter works. So it took me over a month to finally feel I could at least be confident I had what I was shooting at in focus.

I have over 15,000 shutter actuations since the beginning of the year. Of course many of those images have already been trashed.

I've also spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs of Lightroom 4 and now 5. I can visualize what I want to do with an image in Lightroom as I actuate the shutter. I'm not saying its going to be a winning photo or even a keeper but I feel pretty confident now with what I can do with the M-E.

This is an example of what I mean: Morning Glow As I came down the ladder of the jet I saw the early sun shining under the wing. I quickly grabbed my camera, slapped on my 3 stop ND filter set the aperture f/2.0 focused on the main gear and shot. I already had in my mind I was going to use a warm white balance back in LR to finish off the photograph.

Thanks Duane, I've just begun to gel with it a little I think. Part of it was getting used to the 50mm lens, I'm used to having a longer lens by my side for those candid dog/kid pics. I haven't found the focus to be as difficult as I imagined except when the light is low, then I'm really glad of the Oly EVF I got ;) There are things I find irritating, the lugs are a real pain and make it even more difficult for my fingers to reach the shutter speed dial. I'm keeping it in Aperture priority as it's just too much of a juggle. It's really heavy and I can imagine that I'll have to keep it on a sturdy neck strap as I won't want to walk around holding it all the time. What I really, really love about it funnily enough, is that shutter. It's magical! It's fairly quiet but sturdy and is the most satisfying part of the process. Anyway, onwards and upwards as they say. I'm still on a learning curve.

Back