Hello From County22 WY

RidgeRunner22

Regular
Name
Sam
10629742976_3b80114c86_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10629796134_9a7539dc07_c.jpg

10629685975_6fbab3b593_c.jpg

10629766726_1d23149d56_c.jpg

Welcome! Beautiful photos. Keep sharing!
Peter

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Thanks everyone. Iam a long time compact photographer, and i just picked up an rx100 so im excited about that!. I use A mode in good light, set the control ring to Ev. In bad light I use S mode cause i dont like 1/30 shutter speed. Overall though operations are quick and controls are nice.
But my god, raw files are huge and Photoshop is intimidating! Any recommendations for an online tutorial or something along those lines? Luminous Landscapes has something like this.

10629831874_d0f7ba1dd1_c.jpg

Ive always liked this website. lots of nice pictures, less arguing about cameras!

Welcome to SC, beautiful country and beautiful photos. I had a chance to drive around there when I was living in Pocatello, ID. But of course I had a 3MP P&S at that time, still it was enough to capture some of the beauty and a couple bears:)

Oh wow, I didn't even notice the deer until I looked a second time. How close were you?
I find Lightroom good enough for most purposes, but ACR in photoshop works much the same, at least where the major functions are concerned. What are you doing with Photoshop? Just processing the raw files, or other things as well?

All the pictures ive posted are jpeg sooc. I do want to make some nice prints, so i would like to take as much advantage as i can of the DR, that's my primary interest in RAW processing.

^That's fairly easy, the sliders can do a good job of that. You could also use the tone curves, but I think the sliders have some more complex algorithms behind them.

When I process a raw image with very high contrast, I usually start with the Exposure slider (that controls the mid-tones) to get the overall image brightness to the level I want (usually the shot is already pretty close to that point).
Then, if necessary, I adjust the highlights slider down to increase detail to the highlights. If that leads to gray and dull highlights, I pull the whites slider up a bit to make the highlights look natural again while retaining as much of the highlight detail as possible.
Finally I adjust the shadows, if necessary, or just the blacks (if there isn't any specific detail in the shadows that you want to bring out, it's often enough to simply adjust the blacks slider down a bit to get a nice and punchy image; I hardly ever pull the shadows slider down).

After this process is done, sometimes I go back to the exposure slider to adjust the mid-tones to the new situation, and that's that in terms of contrast and shadows/highlights. If you also use the clarity slider, or if you make changes to the colour balance in some way, that might require you to go over the exposure sliders again, if things get a bit funky.

The names of the sliders I used are based on Lightroom 4 / 5; ACR, and earlier Lightroom versions, might use different names for some of the sliders,but their basic functionality remains more or less the same. Also, it's best to make sure you like the white balance before you adjust the exposure settings, but for some reason I usually do it the other way round.

On the last once, my first thought was, "Interesting snag of dead wood," and when I looked closer, I almost jumped! That thing is well camouflaged! It isn't a deer, is it? Not a white tail or a mule ear, anyway, the only two I know! Is it an elk, a moose, or something I don't know about?

Haha it was a moose i almost stepped on that guy, i had to back off the trail and go around but i snapped a quick pic. I went for a run at the ski resort before the snow takes over, its always been a kind of refuge for ungulates, no hunters fewer predators, last year a kid hit a small black bear with a mountain bike

Sam, I'm so glad you're here because I can live vicariously through your photos from Wyoming! The one and only time I was there was so many years ago...in the summer. I loved it and will never forget it. I was outside of Cody in the Sunlight Basin. It was heaven.

Looking forward to many more photos!

Back