Sony Sony RX10?

Me, but first reviews and in store handling are a must have before I will consider a buy. If it is close to new generation sensor mft with the 12-35mm and 35-100mm zooms in terms of IQ and Nikon N1 fast to focus, it will be an interesting all in one solution.

Not personally interested because I don't like zooms to begin with and it looks a good bit larger than anything I own.

BUT....

I'm really intrigued by it. F2.8 with that sensor isn't gonna give you a lot of DOF separation except for very close up subjects or maybe out toward the long end of the zoom. But that's a lot of light and a good sensor that can handle pretty high sensitivities. When the RX100 came out I loved the sensor and hated most of the rest of the camera and hoped for someone, Sony or not, to put that sensor in a camera that lived up to it's promise - ie large enough to put a really functional lens in requiring somewhat less software correction and decent controls. I was thinking of something more like an LX7 spec - 24-90, very fast lens, awesome controls, maybe the size of the X100 or something. This obviously takes it a step beyond that with a fairly decent telephoto and a very nice f2.8 throughout the range.

So, I'm really impressed with it conceptually and I could see RECOMMENDING this camera to any number of people... If I was more of a zoom shooter, I could easily see going with something like an RX1 and then this to cover the range of focal lengths beyond 35ish mm. I'm a wider angle guy and don't care about the long end much, so I'd be more interested if it was something like a 21 equivalent to maybe 100-125 rather than taking it out to 200mm at the long end. But I'm a VERY small market and nobody's gonna make that camera.

Looks like a great all-in-one for a lot of folks.

-Ray

I really think the RX10 is pretty cool - but it's out of my price range these days. I'm busy jumping on sub-$300 close-out deals. I have a bit more interest in the Olympus Stylus 1 that is reportedly going to be announced this week. Same form factor as the RX10 (but maybe a tick smaller?) with a 24-300mm zoom range and a 1/1.7" sensor. Price tag is rumored somewhere in the $500-$700 range. But, frankly, I'm a bit surprised that we're not seeing a lot more cameras with one-inch sensors in them by now.

But, frankly, I'm a bit surprised that we're not seeing a lot more cameras with one-inch sensors in them by now.
I think I read somewhere that Sony isn't making their's available to the competition, at least not yet... And I don't think the one Nikon uses in it's 1 series is up to the same standard... If those sensors were available, I can't believe that nobody else would have built a compact around it...

-Ray

I wasn't looking into it much due to body size & more video emphasis, but after seeing the Sony samples, I am impressed. The jpg's look better then RX100, maybe due to the huge Zeiss lens and/or new Sony jpg engine:

Not Found

A cheaper option w/ 1/1.7" sensor is coming from Olympus tomorrow, but no 24mm:
(FT5) Full Olympus Stylus 1 specs (announcement tomorrow Oct 29). - 43 Rumors

olympus_stylus1_f001_zpsaf6810f7.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

- 1/1.7 inch back illuminated sensor with 12 million pixel.
- 28-300mm f/2.8 constant aperture lens.
- 12 pieces in 10 groups with zero coating and control ring
- in lens stabilization
- Automatic retractable lens cap (cool!)
- ISO100-12800
- Shutter -1/2000 seconds 60 seconds
- Video 1920 x 1080 30p
- 1.44 million dots EVF with Eye sensor.
- 3 type, movable, 1.04 million pixels touch panel monitor
- Equipped with a Wi-Fi function, can work with smartphone
- 116.2 x 87 x 56.5mm size
- (Battery, media, including cap) 402g Weight

Oh! I could like this. I don't mind 28mm and I don't mind 1/1.7 (though my XZ is 1/1.63 and CCD) Must see how it goes. I am used to the Oly UI and don't mind not having a 1". Ray is right about the Nikon1 sensor... its not as good as the sony, but it still does a very decent job. Just don't try it at night without a tripod.

I wasn't looking into it much due to body size & more video emphasis, but after seeing the Sony samples, I am impressed. The jpg's look better then RX100, maybe due to the huge Zeiss lens and/or new Sony jpg engine:

After selling yet ANOTHER fine 1/1.7" sensor-based camera (LX7) and seeing what's now available and likely to come down the pike, I frankly don't see any reason to buy another camera with a 1/1.7" sensor. With cameras like the Fuji XQ1 and XF1 and Sony RX100 and now RX10 using 2/3" and 1" sensors, I just don't see the point anymore. Fuji's 2/3" is better enough and Sony's 1" is SOOO much better quality and now you can get GREAT fixed lens cameras that fit in a shirt pocket with APS sensors (Ricoh GR and Nikon A and who knows what's next...), I can't see stepping back to a sensor that can't handle more than 800-1000 ISO with much capability. The LX7 was the ultimate 1/1.7" camera for my needs and once I got the Nikon A, the LX7 never came off the shelf again except as a nice aspect ratio / focal length calculator (that multi-aspect sensor with the switch on the lens is one of the great features I've ever seen and would LOVE to see it in more cameras). I'm not sure I'll find a reason to ever buy anything smaller than a 4/3 sensor again, but surely no smaller than 1"...

-Ray

That was the reason I sold my LX3, after comparing to similar size dp1... Otherwise I used LX3 more then my dslr on my trips due to the convenience. Then I ended up w/ S95 for portability but that end it up w/ my sister after RX100. Even RX100 is not used that much other then work photos that I need to take...

After selling yet ANOTHER fine 1/1.7" sensor-based camera (LX7) and seeing what's now available and likely to come down the pike, I frankly don't see any reason to buy another camera with a 1/1.7" sensor. With cameras like the Fuji XQ1 and XF1 and Sony RX100 and now RX10 using 2/3" and 1" sensors, I just don't see the point anymore. Fuji's 2/3" is better enough and Sony's 1" is SOOO much better quality and now you can get GREAT fixed lens cameras that fit in a shirt pocket with APS sensors (Ricoh GR and Nikon A and who knows what's next...), I can't see stepping back to a sensor that can't handle more than 800-1000 ISO with much capability. The LX7 was the ultimate 1/1.7" camera for my needs and once I got the Nikon A, the LX7 never came off the shelf again except as a nice aspect ratio / focal length calculator (that multi-aspect sensor with the switch on the lens is one of the great features I've ever seen and would LOVE to see it in more cameras). I'm not sure I'll find a reason to ever buy anything smaller than a 4/3 sensor again, but surely no smaller than 1"...

-Ray

That was the reason I sold my LX3, after comparing to similar size dp1... Otherwise I used LX3 more then my dslr on my trips due to the convenience. Then I ended up w/ S95 for portability but that end it up w/ my sister after RX100. Even RX100 is not used that much other then work photos that I need to take...

Somewhat similar story. Since I first got back into this in early 2010, I had a compact to go along with my "main" camera(s). First a Canon S90, then an LX5, then a GRD3, then an X10, then an RX100 (still in the family with my wife), then an LX7. Now a Nikon "A". And I almost never ended up using any of them except on the occasional bike ride when I had other better cameras around. The Nikon will likely hang in there a good long while because, while its a very pocketable compact, its also one of my two "main" cameras and THE camera for street, which I spend a fair amount of time on... Part of it is I just don't seem to like zooms - I still have one for my OMD but I never use it. But part of it is also because when you can have a great APS based camera in a shirt pocket, why carry anything less capable?

-Ray

I also wasn't expecting the second iteration of the 1" sensor to be quite like the RX10. In my mind I had visions of a Nikon P7100 type body with a 4 or 5x zoom lens that was faster and higher quality than that in the RX100.

There's lot of great fixed-lens compacts available now, and my G1X has been a wonderful camera, but I can't deny that I just prefer system cameras. Therefore, this one is a no from me.

If I remember correctly, the Leica X Vario is the only fixed-lens APS-C currently available. The lens on that could have (and I think should have) been fatter to allow for wider apertures. Because of that and no image stabilization, the X-Vario is too much of a "good-light-only" camera.

The RX10 will have a back-lit sensor which apparently helps with low-light scenes. Comparing output from my Nikon V1 (1" sensor) to that of my micro43 cameras, it holds up quite well until the light drops significantly. I'm guessing that with the 1" back lit sensor and the f2.8 lens, the RX10 will be quite the unexpected beast for low-light ...

My guess is in good light it will be difficult to tell the RX10 images from the X Vario images, and in bad light, the RX10 images will be superior. I'll go out on a limb and guess the RX10 will have nearly as good low-light performance as the Fuji X-E1 with its great 18-55mm lens.

Pack that in with a lens I'm guessing will be the equal of the Panasonic 12-35mm and 35-100mm together, and a great evf, and this thing is going to a *very* versatile, high image quality camera.

I'd say even portrait, F2.8 at 150mm or so should give some nice out-of-focus regions.

The Oly Stylus 1 looks so cool - and yet I seldom even use the Fuji X-20 with its 2/3" sensor, so I can't see myself being happy with a 1/1.7" Sony sensor in the Oly.

When I add up all the great things it has, it's certainly worth the $1299 MRSP. But when I compare it to instead getting an Oly E-M1 body for $1399, it gets becomes a very difficult decision. You see, I have this superb 4/3 pana-leica 14-150mm that the E-M1 would drive beautifully ...

Argh. And reality, I don't even need either of them. I still love shooting the Oly 4/3 E-1 with the PL 14-150mm so much. It produces such beautiful pics, rain or shine. The only things the modern cameras could give me is higher pixel count and better low-light dark recovery.

So, in reality I should really just wait for either of these to come down in price about a year from now.

Sigh.

-Ray

I certainly hear you. I myself have written that the era of the 1/1.7" sensor enthusiast compact is probably drawing to a rapid close. I still generally think that, but I also believe that a smaller-sensored camera can still carve out a special niche for itself. The Olympus Stylus 1 is potentially one of those cases, IMHO. If I were going on vacation, I could see that camera as a nice, one-piece solution. Vacation shots tend to be happy-snaps rather than fine art so I could see it working if the price isn't too high. Of course, weather resistance could seal the deal, but that might be too much to hope for, no?

I'm not in the market because I just settled for now on a combo of a GR plus a minimalist M43 kit. But it does seem really intriguing. Maybe a little big for my purposes, but I can see it as the ultimate photojournalist or blogger tool for stills with video. Get a way to record decent sound and your basically all set.

Well, nothing spectacular but finally charged up the battery and needed to post obligatory first shots. Really liking the form factor, very workable files. I prefer the way Capture One automatically handles any noise but not lens correction. I'm using Lightroom for now.
untitled-51.jpg

untitled7.jpg

untitled-42.jpg

Back