Ricoh Lightroom and GR raw files

tol1l1yboy

Regular
Is it me or does lightroom do something to the files in lightroom that makes them less sharp than the jpeg counterparts. I know that the jpegs coming out of the camera are going to be sharpened so Im not talking about that but it is like the pics are off...almost like a slight blur is introduced. Its bugging the crap out of me. And now Im starting to think maybe Im just seeing something so I figured I should ask here.

Never really noticed to be honest.

When processing my DNGs I actually end up leaving my files at the default 25 sharpening setting in LR4.4 for the most part.

Tom do you think the OOC jpegs are over-sharpened?

I never noticed anything like that. In fact I just said to myself a while back, GR's RAW output is one of the sharpest I've seen since I started shooting. :)

Your DNGs will always look different from your JPEGs because (as you know) there is no processing applied to the file.

I've noticed, for example, that the DNGs are noisy, even at base iso. However, once a little noise slider is applied this disappears.

I am startled at how sharp the DNGs are, although the noise, per above, does tend to give the illusion of softness in some instances.

I always thought the lack of AA-filter fetish was just that: an obsession with technology that did not have any real basis in fact. However, I have to say that apart from the noise the files are very sharp, in fact as sharp as my Sigma DP2M, if not as large in terms of size. I may have to admit there is something in the lack of an AA filter that does improve image sharpness.

Just my two cents

LouisB

Is it me or does lightroom do something to the files in lightroom that makes them less sharp than the jpeg counterparts. I know that the jpegs coming out of the camera are going to be sharpened so Im not talking about that but it is like the pics are off...almost like a slight blur is introduced.
In fact what you see in the first place and for a few seconds are the embedded JPEG previews which are actually sharpened compared to the RAW version.
Then you see the actual RAW file, thus the impression that Lightroom soften the files.

Back