Ricoh GR is making me feel like ditching the XE1

tol1l1yboy

Regular
Am I crazy to think that the GR has completely made me rethink my camera and lens lineup? I have the GR, the XE1 and now the GX7. For a while (before the GR) I told myself that I would keep the Fuji system b/c of the aps-c sensor and the cleaner files I got over the m4/3 images. I knew I needed the m4/3 stuff b/c of the ultrafast focus and the system. Since getting the GR and comparing the images Im pulling from it with the 35mm f/1.4 lens (my personal favorite on the fuji I dont see any real difference other than shallower dof in the 35mm and am beginning to think that I would be better off selling the XE1 and the lenses I have (8mm, 18mm, 35mm) and filling out a few of the voids I have in my m4/3 collection.

I know that nobody can answer this question for me but I was wondering if others are feeling this way as well.

I have both a GR and an X-E1 and regularly carry both. They are very different beasties and in no way would I swop - or drop - one in favour of the other. I actually think they compliment each other really well.

Maybe it is because I only use the primes that are in a similar focal range. Are you using the zooms for fuji? In what way do you feel they complement each other? That particular comment intrigued me.

There are some key differences for me. The GR is a single focal length compact. The "additional" focal lengths are digital crops only. It is easy to take it everywhere (and I generally do) but it cannot handle everything... The X-E1 is a flexible system camera. I use it to mount a wide range of lenses, both zoom and prime, X and legacy, from 15mm to 200mm. I am in fact predominantly a prime shooter and regularly use Leica and Zeiss M mount glass on the little Fuji.

The biggest difference is viewing. The onboard evf on the X is, for me, far more natural than the rear sdreen zombie-stance of rear-screen composition. I often use my GR with an OVF as a result.

Finally, I could not just shoot with a 28. I see a big jump from 28 to 35, and again from 35 to 50 and so on. It's not just angle of view, but also perspective. Aperture also plays a part.

So. A quiver or a single arrow. You decide. ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

Had the GR and X100s simultaneously for a couple of months. Very different styles of shooting... I sold the X100s a few weeks ago to buy something weather-sealed - went Pentax dSLR. Have to say I've not missed the Fuji for a single second. The Ricoh is that good - just right for a compact.

Trying to maintain two system cameras is a bit dangerous because you can easily end up with two duplicated systems. Sure it's nice to have the ability to choose one over the other but it's all money tied up in gear. At the moment I'm using both Micro 4/3 and Samsung NX. Samsung is my compact bodied system with only two 20mm (30mm equiv) and 30mm (45mm) pancake primes. Amazing IQ and resolution from the 30mm pancake in particular but lacking in some speed and refinement. Micro 4/3 is the system I rely on for maximum flexibility, performance, features, controls and 99.5% IQ. At the moment I'm considering adding the 12-24mm ultra-wide angle to my Samsung kit which would create an overlap for me but I think the UWA lens will work very well with that system/sensor.

I cannot support two systems. It's either/or, for me. And I actually like it that way. The natural acclimation to a camera is much quicker and easier, with only one system. Not every one thinks that way. My old dad said,"difference of opinion, is what causes horse trades. If everyone had the same opinion, there would never be any trades." :)

I'm considering jettisoning my XE1 and lenses. I'm accumulating far too much stuff again! I think I'm going to stick with the EM5 or perhaps swap for the EP5 as I find the buttons far too fiddly on the EM5 and I don't use the evf as much as I thought I would. I'll keep the X100s for the Fuji colour, the GR for it's portability.

I can't see having a GR or any camera with a single focal length as my only camera. A GR and and ILC, sure. Maybe the GR and another SC with a zoom. Even if the single focal length works 90%of the time, that's still a lot of missed photos. I know it defeats the purpose to carry both, but many times I know I will need some tele capabilities. I wouldn't mine taking the GR and missing a few shots, but I want somethig to take when I know I need something with a longer FL.

I just returned the GR yesterday, because I had not quite figured out how much I would be using it in spite of the amazing image quality that it can produce. Love everything about it except for the 28mm EFL, which is too wide for me.

So now it's back to square one trying to figure out what gear I'll be lugging to the Paris/Rome trip.

Sorry to hear that Armando! I kind of feel the same way about the 28mm field of view as an all-rounder. If I have enough room in the bag, I am tempted to also bring something narrower.

I think like you said, the image quality on the GR is great, so I am trying to get it do do everything. What would be even better, is a new CSC from Ricoh with 50mm covered as well and a viewfinder. I will "settle" for a few fixed GRs with other FoVs covered and an accessory viewfinder.

Had the GR and X100s simultaneously for a couple of months. Very different styles of shooting... I sold the X100s a few weeks ago to buy something weather-sealed - went Pentax dSLR. Have to say I've not missed the Fuji for a single second. The Ricoh is that good - just right for a compact.

What lens are you using on the Pentax, Mark? The WR kit?

I have been tempted by the K-5 II pricing here, but don't want to be tempted to buy FAs again!

It may not be a GR vs XE1 issue as much as it is about having two (incomplete) mirrorless systems. If both mirrorless systems are incomplete (for you), and you are focal length limited, then I could see focusing on one system and getting more out of the single system.

Cropping to a certain focal length is a strange concept to me. I do crop during PP, but it's often to get rid of distracting elements in the frame as opposed to achieve a certain focal length.

I do see myself re-getting the GR in the future. The excellent IQ is hard to pass, especially at $300 cheaper than the Nikon A. A super wide GR (without having to use the bulky adapter) would make it more interesting for me. Or a 35 or even 50mm version.

What lens are you using on the Pentax, Mark? The WR kit?

I have been tempted by the K-5 II pricing here, but don't want to be tempted to buy FAs again!
Yeah Kyle I went with the K5 and 18-135mm as my starter WR kit - was mighty tempted by the K5ii but didn't see too much different in the sensor and thought I'd save the extra bucks for a lens. Not being one receptive to delayed gratification I rewarded this parsimony immediately with a D-FA 100 Macro WR. ;) So I'm keeping the WR theme thus far. All I want now is a fast normal in the short-term (desire FA31, will probably get Sigma 30/1.4) and the DA*300 in the looooooong term. I hear you about the FA Ltds...a very slippery slope indeed.

Keeping it relevant to this forum (well loosely :blush:), I got to say the Pentax qualifies as a compact in my books - especially compared with my old Nikon D700...or even the 'pinnacles' of micro 4/3s i.e., Panasonic GH3 and Olympus OMD EM-1.

If Ricoh came out with versions of the GR with a built in EVF and, possibly, a tilting screen... that would be awesome. Add one with a 35mm equiv. lens and I could use these cameras the vast majority of the time.

I'm not about to give up my well-fleshed-out m4/3 kit, but it has been languishing on the sidelines quite a bit lately, whist my GR has been busy!

R0000112.jpg

If Ricoh came out with versions of the GR with a built in EVF and, possibly, a tilting screen... that would be awesome. Add one with a 35mm equiv. lens and I could use these cameras the vast majority of the time.

I'm not about to give up my well-fleshed-out m4/3 kit, but it has been languishing on the sidelines quite a bit lately, whist my GR has been busy!

The GR has to stay exactly like it is. Otherwise, it is no longer a Ricoh GR. A GXR successor with integrated EVF would certainly be welcome by me, but that would be a different question.

Back