Sony RX1 files when sharpened in post?

mm24173

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I'm giving serious consideration to picking up an RX1 or RX1R. The "problem" (very much a first world one!) is this.

Whichever one I get would be as a complement to my Sigma DP Merrill 3. I am all but convinced that no camera outside of the D800E (with top Nikon glass) can even get close to matching the resolving power of this thing, and that's not why I would be getting the Sony. I would be getting it for a more wide angle view (the DP3 is 75mm equiv) and low light / high ISO ability (of which the Sigma has neither: at 100 and 200 it is peerless, 400 is pushing it in colour and 800 for b/w is its absolute limit).

However, the Sigma has spoiled me in terms of sharpness and resolution. I look at my older pictures taken with other cameras, and zoomed in to 100 per cent they just look like mush in comparison.

My question is: if you sharpen the RX1 files well, do they get close to the RX1R files? Or is the difference that noticeable?

It's less a question of money (the 2 models of RX1 are the same price) than of IQ. I played around with the RX1R in a camera shop and the overall haptics and general feel are superb. I like the focus peaking too. I was considering the new Olympus mirrorless (the EM1), but these days I'm firmly into dedicated lens/sensor matches (hence the Sigma).

If anyone can shed light on the effect of the removed AA filter from the RX1R in comparison to the RX1, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I shot a lot with both the RX1 and DP1M in July. I'd say the RX1 does not have the jaw dropping resolution and detail of the DP_M. I prefer the output of the RX1 at any normal viewing size and in prints, but if you get off on examining files at 100%, the Sigmas are definitely a step above. That extra bit of detail doesn't mean anything to me except for stuff if I just want to view it on a computer screen and dig out details of a particular aerial shot or something similar. But there is definitely a difference. Not sure about how much closer the RX1-R comes...

-Ray

I shot a lot with both the RX1 and DP1M in July. I'd say the RX1 does not have the jaw dropping resolution and detail of the DP_M. I prefer the output of the RX1 at any normal viewing size and in prints, but if you get off on examining files at 100%, the Sigmas are definitely a step above. That extra bit of detail doesn't mean anything to me except for stuff if I just want to view it on a computer screen and dig out details of a particular aerial shot or something similar. But there is definitely a difference. Not sure about how much closer the RX1-R comes...

-Ray

I should have been more specific; I love the Sigma shots at normal size as well. It's just that zooming in on them is so addictive.

What I was really getting at is the difference between the RX1 and the R variant. I'm already pretty much sold on the overall IQ, low light and everything else. Just a question of if the -R is that much better without the AA filter, or if you wouldn't notice it unless you were actively seeking it out.

Sorry, I guess I missed that. I haven't used the RX1-R. From what I've seen its sharper and more detailed, although with a bit of sharpening, it's pretty tough to tell them apart even at 100%. Still, there's going to be somewhat greater detail. There has been some discussion over on DPR about a Tech Radar review that found the extra resolution came at the cost of somewhat greater noise and duller colors. Some folks over there who'd owned both found that to be true, but others seemed to love the RX1-R as much as the original RX1. One guy who'd sold the RX1 to buy the RX1-R ended up selling it and buying another RX1. I don't have ANY personal experience or even observations to add to this one, though.

-Ray

Back