Micro 4/3 Canon Rebel XTi to Fuji x100s to ?

kdern

I loved my Canon Rebel XTi, then sold it and got a Fuji x100s. There are things that frustrate me about the Fuji, and I need some help figuring out what camera might be a better fit for me.

I loved using a Canon Rebel XTi DSLR for 5 years. As iPhone images got better and better, I used the Canon less and less. I loved using it but it was just too big to take on every trip, to every dinner party, to every family function, etc. It sat at home and I used my iPhone to take lots of mediocre photos.

A few months ago I sold the Canon and bought the brand new Fuji x100s. I expected to love it because of the size and image quality. I do love these things, but I also miss having a zoom and am often frustrated by the slow autofocus, especially in low light. I do get lots of amazing photos from it, but I feel like I have to take 10x as many photos as I used to have to take with the Canon to end up with a few good ones.

I know many people like the Fuji because it's a perfect camera for street photography. I don't take photos of people when I shoot on the street - it's usually buildings or interesting things, so I don't need a stealthy camera. I miss the speed and image stabilization of my DSLR.

Is there another mirrorless camera I should consider - one with interchangeable lenses? I've been reading about the Sony NEX series and the Olympus O-MD E-M5. Other than the interchangeable lenses, how would they be different than the Fuji x100s?

Or should I just get the latest Canon Rebel (T5i?) and accept that if I want DSLR quality, I need a DSLR?

One more guideline - I spent $1300 on my Fuji and I think I could sell it for about $1200 if I sell it soon... so my budget for a new camera and lens is $1300. I think I could be happy with a kit lens with IS if it's not too big, or a kit lens and a pancake lens.

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forum!!

There are TONS of excellent and compact cameras in the market nowadays. You definitely do NOT need a DSLR to get a DSLR image quality. To my eyes, the IQ coming from the X100S should be superior in terms of low noise, dynamic range, and detail than the Rebel XTi and even the T5i. It seems that you are more comfortable with a zoom lenses. And you also want better AF performance. If there's an achilles heel in the Fuji X cameras, it is the AF performance relative to other mirrorless cameras and DSLR's.

Let's start with a couple of things. What lenses did you have for the XTi? And which ones did you use the most?

Welcome to SC forums. What lenses were you using with your XTI?

I own both nex and OMD so if you are looking for a faster low light focus fastest is m43 bodies, Olympus/Panasonic. I don't know how that compares with Fuji as I don't own one. Again mirrorless focus might be slower then dslr in low light but it is more accurate esp with faster lenses (I used 5D/20D/40D with Sigma/Canon prime lenses). There are cheaper bodies like Olympus e-m2, e-pl5 and some other Panasonic bodies to consider if you go to m43 route.

Also do you need a viewfinder with camera? E-M2/E-PL5 don't have viewfinder but you can add external one. In addition you can buy used/refurbished lenses to save money again depending on your choices.

Thanks for the help everyone! I went through a few lenses with my Canon Rebel but ended up using the 18-55 IS lens the most because it was the lightest. Used my Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 when I was willing to carry a heavier camera for a faster lens.

The zoom isn't the most critical, although I would prefer to have it. I miss the focus speed and image stabilization the most.

A viewfinder is important, as is shooting in RAW (but I assume these cameras can all do that).

I'd go with something like a Olympus OMD-EM5. The prices should start dropping with the release of the EM1. The EM5 has in body image stabilization, so you won't have to worry about IS on the lenses at all. Plus, the EM5's IBIS is arguably THE best IS of any camera in the market. Used EM5's are going for about $600-800. Olympus is releasing a 12-40/f2.8 zoom that will cost about $1000. Panasonic has a 12-35/f2.8 zoom that is about $1100. Most of the "kit" zooms for Oly and Pany are also good lenses, and they are arguably better than the Rebel's kit 18-55. The very first Pany 14-42/3.5-5.6 ever released is considered one of the best "cheap" kit zooms. If you buy a kit zoom, you can then use the rest of your budget to get one or two fast prime lenses.

Panny 14-45 is the popular one, but the other kit zooms are good too. You can get the OMD with Olympus 14-42mm or 12-50mm lenses, which should give you similar range as Canon. I like 14-150mm as it is nearly same size of Olympus 12-50mm zoom. You can add 45mm 1.8 for portraits, now it is $280 at Olympus refurb store:
Reconditioned Lenses - OLYMPUS OUTLET | Olympus Cameras, Audio & Binoculars

Other good alternative to OMD is gx7, more Fuji style rather then dslr shaped OMD:
Amazon.com : Panasonic LUMIX GX7 16.0 MP DSLM Camera with LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm II Lens and Tilt-Live Viewfinder (Silver) : Compact System Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

I agree with those above who recommend something like the OM-D E-M5 with a kit lens. That will be the closest to what you had with your Rebel, with the advantage of a smaller camera and lighter weight. From there you can decide what additional lenses you would like to add to your system. Alternatively, something like the new Panasonic GX7 might be of interest if you want the 'latest and greatest' as well as something even a little smaller than the E-M5 and is shaped a little more like your X100S.

Back