NY Times Lens blog: "Looking at Our Hometowns"

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
"Looking at Our Hometowns" by James Estrin of the NY Times:http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/looking-at-our-hometowns/?hp

What would happen if you asked high school students to help create a 21st-century portrait of the country by turning their cameras on their neighborhoods, families, friends and schools?

You would have “My Hometown” — a vibrant document of 4,289 images submitted by teenagers in school- or community-based photography programs across the United States, including rural villages and urban neighborhoods, wealthy suburbs and blue-collar Rust Belt towns.

While participants only photographed their own communities, together, the images create an important and lasting document of America today as seen by teenagers. They are published today in an interactive feature that opens with a selection of 145 photographs and is also searchable by state and by photographer. Many of the images will be archived at the Library of Congress in the Prints and Photographs Division...

I've just begun looking and am more than amazed. Enjoy yourselves and forget about what camera you have!:drinks:

(I've posted this on FujiXspot - it's worth reading and looking at.)

This is fantastic, BB. I know "a picture is worth a thousand words," but it's amazing what a paragraph of context to each image can add to a gallery like this. I truly enjoyed reading and looking through the slideshow.

Thanks so much for sharing this. Projects like this really show the power of still photography in the day when video seems to be the preference in the younger generation.

Back