21st Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - Eyes - Winner Announced

Winner - announcement

I found it very hard to pick a winner out of these images. They are all very good and I really appreciate each of them for the way they relate to the ‘eyes’ theme. The only way I could decide was by using my litmus test technique for picking favorite images: the ‘wall test’. By this I mean is it an image that I would like to see hanging on a wall somewhere. I followed Luke’s lead and provide some comment on each image.

Luke- Beautiful image, I love the way the long hair curves and it makes me want to see more of this dog. You can see some of the personality coming through.

BruPri- Very cool image. The eyes truly make this image work. I almost chose this image, but I think it might work better for me if it had a tighter crop from the bottom and top. Maybe a square image? Nice capture, really tells a story.

Mebe.ingme- Beautiful capture. The light and reflection in the eyes make this a really cool baby picture. I also like the light effect on the right side of the image. Add mystery and depth. Nice.

ReD- The eyes and fingers really make this image. I really like photos of older people and this makes me want to meet this person and find out more about their life. Very cool. Maybe just a bit too tight a crop for me.

mnhoj- Both the colors and composition are strong. And I really like the way it makes this image mysterious. Might be slightly improved by a closer crop, maybe square? But that is a minor thought. It is still a very strong image.

grebeman- This is a cool eye. I like the lashes and the good light and color. Is seem to pull a sad emotion, maybe from the way the eye is looking down.

muzee- Great wedding photo. I see that it is all about the the visual connection between these newly weds. Great color and light.

MiguelATF- This is really interesting photo. Your story about where it was taken gives it a great context. It makes me wonder about the life of the animal and the life that goes on around its preserved body. The shadow is very powerful. I like it a lot.

Briar- This is a very powerful image. Really grabs you and makes you curious about this person. There is mystery and a compelling sadness to the eye. Excellent. Third choice as favorite. It might have won if I could see both eyes. Maybe this wasn’t possible, but something about seeing half the face makes me want to see the rest.

staticantics- Fun and very sweet image. You can tell this boy is having fun. Great catch.

christilou- Great eye photo. The reflection in the eye adds mystery. Color and light is very good. I wonder how this would read in B&W.

drd1135- Very nice cat photo. The eyes are so cool. The highlight reflections and the color in the eyes really draw you in. Great lighting and composition.

davect01- This is a really great image The eyes really do tell a story here. Very fun.

TheRubySusan- A very nice cool cat photo. Great composition and lighting.The whiskers really make this image compelling. Very nice.

Lightmancer- Winner! This is a great image. The framing really draws you into the eyes. And the partly hidden hat gives this a timeless feel. A really fun and mysterious image that I have picked as this challenge’s winner. Great job.

Back