Ricoh Ricoh GR AEL confusion.

Tom K.

Regular
Name
Tom
Regarding the new Ricoh GR.

Can someone here succinctly explain the AEL switch? I read the manual but found it confusing. I simply want to know how to lock the exposure.

From the user manual (page 54):

1) Switch the lever to AE-L/AF-L

2) In the menu, select [Key Custom Options] -> [AEL/AFL Setting] and set it to AE-L.

The AE-L/AF-L button now acts as an AE-L button.

In the [Key Custom Options] menu there is a setting called [AEL/AFL Lock Setting]. If you set it to Off, exposure will be locked only while you hold the button down. If you set it to On, the first press will lock exposure and the second press will unlock it.

I got this from another forum....and it works like a charm.

If the lever is switched to AEL/AFL position and you press the focus button, the camera does the focus/exposure (or both) lock. According to the GR user guide, the default [AEL/AFL setting] is focus lock. So if you prefer to use the AE lock, change the [AEL/AFL Setting] to AEL.

Now if you press the focus button, the camera should lock the exposure. By default, the AE/AF lock is kept as long as you hold the focus button. Luckily, there is an option in the camera menu to change this behavior. The [AEL/AFL Lock Setting] has two options...
Off - the lock is kept as long as you hold the focus button (default setting)
On - first press of focus button locks the focus/exposure, the second press cancels the lock.

Locking the exposure should be easier. If I want to just lock the exposure and not the exposure AND focus I should be able to do that quickly. Too confusing to me.

Key Custom Options:

AEL/AFL Setting: AEL

AEL/AFL Lock Keep Setting: On

Make sure the AEL/AFL C-AF lever is at AEL/AFL position, press the button once will lock exposure, press it again will unlock.

UPDATE: I just applied the setting and it worked. The thing that confused me initially was I set it on a bright light and locked it. Then I pointed the camera to a dark area and on the LCD it adjusted so I could see the dark area well exposed (on the LCD). If I hold down the shutter button half way it locks exposure. If I keep it pressed and point the camera from a light area to a dark area the LCD doesn't compensate for the difference. In other words if I point it at light and then swing the camera and point it to dark with the half pressed shutter the dark will be dead dark. When I press the exposure lock button the LCD compensates and you can clearly see the dark area. Odd that it does that.

Back