Panasonic New LX-7 owner checking in

Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Am the owner of a new (to me, anyway - and literally almost new as well) Lumix LX-7, purchased from fellow Serious Compacts member Ray Sachs....and it's a beautiful little machine. Will be putting it through its paces in the upcoming weeks and months, but cant resist posting one of my first photos taken with it -

Self-Portrait_LX-7_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Btw this was taken using the 'Dynamic Monochrome' setting in the 'Creative Control' panel, its a JPEG with a pleasing (to me) tonal black and white balance. The downside of the CC panel is a weird, wonky and slightly dumbed down control process (no access to the aperture ring, but there are some usable mini-controls for exposure, contrast, and depth-of-field (or lack thereof).

So far....so good.

Miguel

Fantastic little camera. I had one and found it very flexible and capable.

Welcome!

Thanks, John.

It is a pretty cool camera. I owned its predecessor, the LX1, about a million years ago and compared to it, the LX7 has come a lonnnnnggggg way. It's a nifty small photo tool though. And I suspect the accessory EVF is going to be used a lot.

Cheers!

Congratulations, Miguel! I still have the LX7 and it's a joy to use. My only problem is that I'm trying to fund the purchase of a Fuji camera or two and may have to sell off my example (and maybe my GX1 as well) in order to do it. But maybe not. Enjoy!

Welcome Miguel,
Enjoy your new camera. Nice photo!
And you've bought my wife's favorite camera.
Peter

I've actually thought about picking one up. We have an XZ-1, but DXO reports almost a full stop of increased dynamic range with the LX7 over the XZ-1, and that would be a huge benifit I think. Have fun with the camera.

Thanks to all the welcomes from everyone. I'm playing around with the camera, and have been using the 'Dynamic Monochrome' setting quite a bit. Here are one or two of the results -

Starting with an old fencepost on the semi-rural ancient Oregon farmhouse I live in -

9738891204_41de9849f5_b.jpg

Another detail from the same fence -

9738898482_6fd9f24afb_b.jpg

And some ancient deer antlers, inherited from previous generations of inhabitants here -

9735667771_b37c36803c_b.jpg

Incidentally, the Dynamic Monochrome has some nicely defined tonal qualities - but it's part of the 'Creative Control' mode which as I'm discovering has its own quirks, oddities and just plain headaches. Like the fact that you can't use/access normal aperture/shutter speed/etc controls within this mode; you have to access a weird triple set of boxes with sliders for Underexposure/Overexposure - a strange Depth-of-Field scale (wide open on one end/fully stopped down on the other) - and a 3rd box which supposedly allows contrast control....but doesn't seem to have much efect as far as I can tell.

To actually see what f/stop and/or shutter speed the camera has selected for you after positioning the sliders, one must first halfway depress the shutter release which then gives info at the bottom of the screen - but the whole thing is rather wonky.

But, that said, the images are rather fun so far.

Here are a few more, taken at the local/nearby recycling center - which featured (only in rural Oregon) an ancient holder for fireplace utensils (tongs, ash shovel, etc) ... made out of .... deer hooves!

Here, the hoof alone -

9738917928_3ae2a236ef_b.jpg

Here, another hoof supporting the ancient ash shovel -

9735691825_b8da0ef6ed_b.jpg

And here yet another hoof supporting tongs, useful for grabbing that occasional hot coal or burning log fragment -

9735697535_d6ae239f31_b.jpg

Back