Feedback Serious Compacts Hacked

Amin

Hall of Famer
The SeriousCompacts.com forum security was today breached by a hacker who was able to gain access to the forum software administrator control panel. As far as we can tell, the hacker's purpose was simply to prove their own capability in hacking as there was no stated grievance.

I am not aware of any breach of our database, member emails, or passwords. However, anyone who has setup an account here at SeriousCompacts.com is encouraged to change their password both on this site and also on any other website that uses an identical or similar password.

I apologize for this breach of security and will continue to do my best to prevent things like this from happening. For now, the site will remain closed to new registrations while we are addressing these issues.

Thanks for the heads up, and all the hard work you put into building and maintaining this wonderful place :)

I've experienced the same issue as marlof, by the way... [edit] but now I can edit without problems :)

Amin,

You have been selected the winner of an unclaimed lautery prise in the amount of $32 million ($32.000.000) USD. Please forward your bank account information to claim the prize...

Sorry couldn't resist...

While I appreciate quick wit and wacky taunts, I think it is best when people see what they believe to be malicious posts that they report the posts and refrain from taunting. These things can very quickly turn personal and you never know if you're dealing with a lucky (sophisticated) 12 year old or a skilled nutjob with bombs strapped to his chest. We all feel safe behind our keyboards, but a whacked out hacker could arrive on the doorstep of nearly anyone here with a few keystrokes.

I am Spartacus (too). And I'm off to change some more passwords.

If you make it part of the TOS here, then I'll abide by it, but I'm not giving into intimidation. "If you stop shopping, then the terrorists have won" or something like that. ;)

Amin, I think it's a good idea to elevate one of the current moderators to the co-admin status. If the co-admin you choose is usually active in different hours than you, he'll be able to react more swiftly to such events in case you're unavailable.

These things are never pleasant. Humour is a coping mechanism. But Luke is spot on. Aggravating the recidivist may make the situation worse.

Report any anomaly. We are here to deal with these things. Mostly it's the cleanup of spam, but we live in a virtual world and things like this will happen more and more. If in doubt, report. We would rather investigate a false alarm than have these things happen.

Sent from another Galaxy

Back