Ricoh Will Ricoh ever produce a digital GR21?

Roh

Rookie
Hi guys

Having very recently joined the Ricoh club and become a real fan boy, I'm giving serious thought to getting one of their original GR film cameras

Obviously the GR21 has earned a bit of cult status but in your opinion do you think they could produce a digital APSC version without compromising on the current small body?

You could just grab a GW-3 for $180. It makes the camera a little chunkier, but from the samples I've seen, the photos look nice and sharp. The Ricoh GR is somewhat of a niche item, so I'm sure a digital GR21 reiteration would be even moreso.

I would buy one in a second, biggest photo mistake I ever made was not buying a GR21 when I went to Tokyo for the first time many years ago.

You could just grab a GW-3 for $180. It makes the camera a little chunkier, but from the samples I've seen, the photos look nice and sharp. The Ricoh GR is somewhat of a niche item, so I'm sure a digital GR21 reiteration would be even moreso.

The problem at least in the US, is that the gw-3 as not been released here yet. The only ones u c are for more than msrp. The normal on line stores like b&h, adorama don't have it yet. I asked one of them, they told me Ricoh has not released to the states yet. Hopefully, they will et around to it.

But given this adapter, the probability of a digital gr21 seems remote.

Gary

The problem at least in the US, is that the gw-3 as not been released here yet. The only ones u c are for more than msrp. The normal on line stores like b&h, adorama don't have it yet. I asked one of them, they told me Ricoh has not released to the states yet. Hopefully, they will et around to it.

But given this adapter, the probability of a digital gr21 seems remote.

Gary

I agree but I have never liked the GR with the adapter

Yes the gw3 is an option but ultimately its an add on. It would be great - if it were possible, to have a 21mm digital GR in a "pure" form.

Ricoh recently filed a patent for a lens equivalent to 21-84mm f1.8-2.8 for a 1/1.7" sensor. If this materializes as a camera, it could be a GR21-alike, with the added benefit of zoom and wide aperture.

Ricoh 4.6-18mm F1.8-2.8 (1/1.7")ã®ç‰¹è¨±ï¼šã‚¨ãƒ³ã‚¸ãƒ‹ã‚¢ã®å—œã¿ï¼šSo-netブログ

Not aps-c, but certainly a lot of fun! Would most likely be just as good, photographically, as the Panasonic LX7. As for an aps-c version, it might be a bit of a squeeze to get a 21mm lens into a current GR.

Gr form factor and a 40 fov lens on apsc count me in. I just picked up a gr... Decided that w/ 16mp, set to 35mm crop, I still have 10mp of usable info. But a 40 is my preferred lens choice. Since I never print bigger then 13x19, I don't think this should be a problem.

Gary

I'd just like a 45-50mm equivalent :)

When I first saw the release sheets for the GR I was hoping for the same thing. But I'm really growing fond of 28mm after shooting with just the GR for the past couple months. I used to hate it when I had a Panasonic 14mm, but to be honest, I never really gave the focal-length a chance since I adored the 20mm.

There is a subtle difference between the aps-c and small sensors in terms of field of view and aspect ratio. All the small sensor cameras have a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor, whereas the aps-c sensors are 3:2. While you can obviously crop the 4:3 image to be 3:2, this decreases the field of view and essentially makes an image that is less wide than from aps-c. I noticed this when comparing images from the Olympus OM-D and Panasonic GH3 with the Ricoh GR. You get less field of view horizontally in the 4:3 sensor, although the 4:3 image is taller.

This means that a 21-84mm lens on a small 1.1/7" sensor would be more like 22.5 or less if cropped to 3:2. Panasonic understood this issue and has cameras that use multi-aspect ratio sensors, so rather than cropping the image, the image expands vertically or horizontally depending on the selected ratio. As Ray has mentioned, the Panasonic LX7 has a 24mm lens at 4:3, but at 16:9, the field of view is more like 21-22mm. Not bad at all.

Gr form factor and a 40 fov lens on apsc count me in. I just picked up a gr... Decided that w/ 16mp, set to 35mm crop, I still have 10mp of usable info. But a 40 is my preferred lens choice. Since I never print bigger then 13x19, I don't think this should be a problem.

Gary

I have mine defaulted to 35mm, but I resent the waste. I would far rather use the full sensor. That said, can you imagine the same crop facility on a native 40mm...?

Sent from another Galaxy

Back