Fuji Okay, I joined Club Fuji...

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
My new X100 will be here tomorrow. Looking forward to some fun with it. No, I didn't get the X-Trans, sorry. But still, it will be the highest quality imaging system I own.

Gary Ayala, Ray Sachs -- to name just a few -- have told me, "John, you should try a Fuji". I didn't think they meant an X10 so I held my breath and hit the button for the X100, lol.

Sold a great deal of my gear actually as I slim down so it hasn't put me further in debt. I see many doing it and I don't know if I "caught" this as a kind of mob-mentality response, or if it's just time. Whatever it is, it means less agonizing.

I have basically three lens choices now for mu-43: the Panasonic 7-14, 12-35, and 35-100. Then for low light, traveling light, street stuff (which I'm not good in) I have the Fujifilm X100 now.

John,
Excellent! Congratulations. Very cool indeed. I really look forward to reading your obsevations as you work your through the camera.
. . . David

Ha ha! Thanks, David. I'm sure, like everyone, I will OOOH! and AHHH! over the photos -- punctuated by occasional cursing at the camera. I'm prepared!

John, I look forward to seeing your work through the X100. It's a pretty amazing bit of kit.....even 2 or 3 years later. I've bought and sold it a few times....it's still my favorite camera. And as soon as I am able, I'm getting another one. Make sure you update the firmware to whatever is most current and prepare to be flummoxed a bit, until you learn the ways of the Fuji.

And now your signature doesn't have you looking some sort of m43 fanboi. :tongue: If the mood strikes, you should join the Fuji site, but there's definitely loads of Fujians here to help you (if you should need it). To some, the Fuji is like riding a bike....to others, it's like constantly falling off of a bike. I think you'll dig it.....even if you need to fight through the first week or two.

Enjoy it John - it's a great camera. And when you're struggling through one of its few remaining quirks, just remember that they've eliminated most of them and definitely the worst of them through firmware updates!

But the least that can be said about it is that it's a hell if a lot of fun to shoot with. So, ENJOY!

-Ray

John, I look forward to seeing your work through the X100. It's a pretty amazing bit of kit.....even 2 or 3 years later. I've bought and sold it a few times....it's still my favorite camera. And as soon as I am able, I'm getting another one. Make sure you update the firmware to whatever is most current and prepare to be flummoxed a bit, until you learn the ways of the Fuji.

And now your signature doesn't have you looking some sort of m43 fanboi. :tongue: If the mood strikes, you should join the Fuji site, but there's definitely loads of Fujians here to help you (if you should need it). To some, the Fuji is like riding a bike....to others, it's like constantly falling off of a bike. I think you'll dig it.....even if you need to fight through the first week or two.

Ha ha! Yes, I've read about it quite a bit so although I know I have a lot to learn, I'm prepared for the weirder parts, lol. Actually, it doesn't sound bad to me at all and there are so many folks who still use it despite -- or conversely maybe BECAUSE of -- it's endearing quirks. I love the whole dedicated exposure comp, aperture ring and shutter dials, and so forth. It's my "roots" as they say and I'm sure it's part of the charm.

Thanks and I already joined the Fuji site as entropic remmants -- I just have nothing to say yet and I know how to search so questions haven't come up. I found the genuine Fuji LH-X100 hood/adapter and Fuji Super EBC protection filter at KEH for $80 total. I went ahead and got them as I like having a filter over lenses and especially over ones that can't easily be replaced!

As far as the fanboi thing -- I've thinned the mu-43 herd, lol. And I gave my E-P1 to my grandson so that dropped a cam and lens right there.

Enjoy it John - it's a great camera. And when you're struggling through one of its few remaining quirks, just remember that they've eliminated most of them and definitely the worst of them through firmware updates!

But the least that can be said about it is that it's a hell if a lot of fun to shoot with. So, ENJOY!

-Ray

Yesh, there are just so many fans of the Fuji and when I've held them they make me smile. Really looking forward to the fun!

Thanks for the encouragement all!!! :D

John You are going to love it. I havent got the X-trans version either and dont love mine any less for that. I've also been lucky not to have SAB so its all good :)

Glad to hear it! I ended up buying a brand new one from Adorama so I'm hoping it's late model and will be unaffected.

People like you who continued to love the camera convinced me I could be happy with the "older sister" as one reviewer put it -- even though the "younger sister" is more refined, lol.

Have fun with the new camera, John... look forward to seeing your images.

I picked up an X100 also (steeply discounted LE), recently, and I have been digging the camera. Kinda nice to pickup a camera after there have already been a ton of firmware updates. Who needs this bleeding edge stuff? :D

Have fun with the new camera, John... look forward to seeing your images.

I picked up an X100 also (steeply discounted LE), recently, and I have been digging the camera. Kinda nice to pickup a camera after there have already been a ton of firmware updates. Who needs this bleeding edge stuff? :D

Exactly! My "other" camera is a GH2 -- hardly bleeding edge either, lol.

Love those black LE's -- but I'm okay with silver. I'll simply shoot and steal an occasional envious glance at yours...

Congratulations, John! I hope to be right there with you - with an X100, X100s or X-E1 by the end of the year. I've been posting on the Fuji site anyway since the beginning (if my memory is correct, I think I gave the site its name). It's just fun to be around the Fuji excitment and enthusiasm. Keep us up to date.

EDIT: John, I must say that I am surprised that you got rid of the Oly 75mm. Or at least it appears that you did.

My new X100 will be here tomorrow. Looking forward to some fun with it. No, I didn't get the X-Trans, sorry. But still, it will be the highest quality imaging system I own.

Gary Ayala, Ray Sachs -- to name just a few -- have told me, "John, you should try a Fuji". I didn't think they meant an X10 so I held my breath and hit the button for the X100, lol.

Sold a great deal of my gear actually as I slim down so it hasn't put me further in debt. I see many doing it and I don't know if I "caught" this as a kind of mob-mentality response, or if it's just time. Whatever it is, it means less agonizing.

I have basically three lens choices now for mu-43: the Panasonic 7-14, 12-35, and 35-100. Then for low light, traveling light, street stuff (which I'm not good in) I have the Fujifilm X100 now.

Great choice! I am sure you'll enjoy it. Your m43 kit is superb for a wide range of scenarios and the fuji x100 will fill a different niche. I like the setup!

To some, the Fuji is like riding a bike....to others, it's like constantly falling off of a bike.

:rofl: How true!

Mostly, I'm in the first of these categories, but - even after more than two years - the x100 still has the ability to put me into the second, when I'm not paying attention...:redface::)

Congrats John. Hope you love it. I agree with Luke, be sure to get the latest firmware to get the most from your X100.

The only substantial thing the "S" gives you, other than the X-trans sensor and funkier front VF switch ;), is the MF capability. The "S" feels andl ooks just right, while I found the original a little mushy and dizzying.

Congratulations, John! I hope to be right there with you - with an X100, X100s or X-E1 by the end of the year. I've been posting on the Fuji site anyway since the beginning (if my memory is correct, I think I gave the site its name). It's just fun to be around the Fuji excitment and enthusiasm. Keep us up to date.

EDIT: John, I must say that I am surprised that you got rid of the Oly 75mm. Or at least it appears that you did.

I did, Steve. I can do almost everything I need to do with the 35-100mm f/2.8. Yes, the 75mm is outstanding but I don't use it enough and it's too much money sitting around. My local friend who bought a G5 after using mine is a retired portrait photographer and he was the PERFECT person to own one so I sold him mine at a reasonable price. He's happy and I put the money towards the 35-100mm.

Congrats John. Hope you love it. I agree with Luke, be sure to get the latest firmware to get the most from your X100.

The only substantial thing the "S" gives you, other than the X-trans sensor and funkier front VF switch ;), is the MF capability. The "S" feels andl ooks just right, while I found the original a little mushy and dizzying.

Checking the firmware will be "Job One", lol. Manual focus is a rarity for me, so I'll be coaxing the AF system into doing what I want. I do most manual focus now when I'm doing video work of some kind, but the GH1/GH2 are good with that especially with the native lenses. The Fuji isn't for video.

Thanks all!

Back