Sony First impressions....

rpavich

Veteran
Ok...just got it, charged the battery for over an hour...might have put it in the charger wrong. :(

I charged the battery and even after an hour and a half....I had about 1/3 battery. I put the battery label up but I think that might have been wrong. There is a triangle on the charger on one side and a triangle on the battery...this time I put them so that they were on the same side....the battery is upside down in the charger now...hopefully I won't blow anything up.

Also...my first impression of the camera...confusing menu system. wow. I tried setting a few things, tried to take a few images while the battery held out...wasn't very successful.

Is it possible to zoom focus while in AF?

Also....this is ONE SMALL CAMERA...it feels very cramped in my hand...very clumsy. I'm thinking that if I keep it, I'd definitely like to buy a hand grip that bolts to the bottom.

As for the EVF...it's definitely passable, it even works pretty well with my glasses on...I DO MISS a real viewfinder though...not sure if that will go away soon; we'll see.

After I charge up and try and take an image I'll post what I have.

Everybody is different, I find the Sony Rx1 menu very easy and understandable, and far far from confusing, and far from 'clumsy', sounds like this camera isn't for you, you should return it.

Everybody is different, I find the Sony Rx1 menu very easy and understandable, and far far from confusing, and far from 'clumsy', sounds like this camera isn't for you, you should return it.

Well...I'm not going to give up just yet :)

It IS amazing IQ and I'm going to give it a fair shake to find out what's livable to get these amazing files.

If you're used to shooting with a particular menu system, particularly ONE particular menu system, ANYTHING else is gonna feel weird and non-intuitive at first. As someone who shoots with a pretty wide variety of cameras, I find the RX1 and RX100 menus pretty decent. Not the best, but far from the worst, and not particularly tough to adapt to. That said, feel in the hand is a pretty personal thing and, if it doesn't feel right, it might never...

I'd say that for a DSLR shooter, the primary thing that might cause problems is the AF speed and just getting use to CDAF's habits generally. Its different, it has pros and cons compared to a good PDAF system, but it seems to be a real stumbling block for a lot of DSLR shooters moving into mirrorless for the first time. Particularly for high speed tracking during burst mode, where CDAF simply doesn't compete.

Give it a bit of time, but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Only you can know...

-Ray

If you're used to shooting with a particular menu system, particularly ONE particular menu system, ANYTHING else is gonna feel weird and non-intuitive at first. As someone who shoots with a pretty wide variety of cameras, I find the RX1 and RX100 menus pretty decent. Not the best, but far from the worst, and not particularly tough to adapt to. That said, feel in the hand is a pretty personal thing and, if it doesn't feel right, it might never...

I'd say that for a DSLR shooter, the primary thing that might cause problems is the AF speed and just getting use to CDAF's habits generally. Its different, it has pros and cons compared to a good PDAF system, but it seems to be a real stumbling block for a lot of DSLR shooters moving into mirrorless for the first time. Particularly for high speed tracking during burst mode, where CDAF simply doesn't compete.

Give it a bit of time, but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Only you can know...

-Ray

Good observations Ray,

I'm getting more used to it even this morning and it feels less awkward. I do think that getting a hand grip would make it more ergonomic for me though...so I think I might do that. I'm also getting used to the EVF.

I think, like you said, it's just basically getting use to it in general.

Ok....after having used this monster for a few more days I'll modify my first post.

Menus = pretty good, better than X100S.

EVF = pretty good...I don't even think about it anymore.

Size = Getting a grip, that should help but getting used to it. Getting a hood helped also...it serves as a finger brace/rest.

And the custom mode menu/saving is really well thought out, and the quality of the jpgs is stunning.

Ok...I'm good with it. :)

Back