Micro 4/3 G5 firmware update implies hack could be soon

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
Panasonic finally released a firmware update for the G5 and that's all that was holding up video hacks for the G5.

Some have speculated the G5 could be capable of manual video control like the GHx series and G6 have. But I'd be satisfied with high rate 60p and/or high rate 24p. The latter preferred actually.

Keeping fingers crossed.

I'm eyeing the G6 and I hope Panasonic will eventually release an updated firmware for that camera. I don't need higher bitrate, but I'd like to be able to switch from NTSC to PAL and vice versa.

I don't have a G5, but it's always a good thing for a format to have vibrant offerings. A hacked G5 taking it up a notch is welcome. Hope it happens. The G6 is look good, however, and that might mitigate the need or urge for hackers. The G6 launch price is reasonable, and if it goes down to $500, then it's a tremendous bargain for those who shoot hybrid or need video.

As a side note, I'm glad to see the lifting of the 29:59 time limit to clips. It gets in the way for those of us who record lectures or performances for documentary (not filmmaking) purposes.

Cheers!

Back