mu-43 site is getting a bit ... crowded???

wt21

Hall of Famer
I'm still mainly an m43 shooter, though I've dabbled with the Fuji system and have an RX100 and 6D. But I'm feeling overwhelmed at the mu-43 site. It's feeling a bit ... crowded???

There's nothing wrong with the site, just crowded. Some of my favorite posters are mostly trying other systems, and there are a lot of newbies wrestling with the questions that were asked 2 or 3 years ago.

I've been enjoying the SC and Fuji sites a bit more lately. I've nothing to contribute to NEX or Leica.

Any rate, just an observation.

I'm afraid I've been a bit trollish over there lately. It's beginning to feel a bit like DPReview to me with senseless discussions that never quite get anywhere. Or maybe I'm just a bitter old man, lol...

It's not the noob questions sometimes as much as people not accepting answers when they appear. I do wish people would spend less time agonizing over ISO, hot pixels, and noise reduction and JUST GO SHOOT PHOTOS!

See, told you I was a troll. :evilsmile:

Man I love hot pixels.....

I've noticed lately if I put my EM5 and XE1 in the same camera bag the Olympus keeps attacking the Fuji with "he likes you more but I am clearly better"....

I feel its part of the growing pains of a forum. Its interesting we don't have more members here since this forum encompasses more cameras. I think its just an explosion of the mft system.

I think Mu-43 just goes through phases. Bit of a doldrums right now, but this has happened before several times, and it always goes back to being a good place to spend time.

Amin ... can you start a FF forum??? :)

I don't know, Bill. I just don't know :).

Yeah seems like lots of new blood. I'm finding it too hard to keep up with the activity. Its hard to keep track of everything and threads youre interested in when theres so many new posts.

Yeah seems like lots of new blood. I'm finding it too hard to keep up with the activity. Its hard to keep track of everything and threads youre interested in when theres so many new posts.

Well, I guess I'm part of the new bloods causing all the problems over on the mu-43 site. I'm about to do the same on this site, since I'm in the market for a new compact. But really don't you old timers go off and start a new fourm because I'll just find you again. I 've learned a lot on both fourms and like reading both. I've spent some time over on the FujiXspot fourm since the X20 is on my short list for a new compact. I'll try and keep the nob question for the DP site.:D

Well, a bit over a year ago I was new on mu-43, so I like to keep things in perspective. I even started a political thread about photographer's rights shortly after joining, although it was not my intention to break the rules: I just did, without thinking. It takes a while to figure out the culture of any new place, but if old timers flee when new people arrive, then the culture will be irrevocably changed. It happens, but I'd hate to see it happen to mu-4/3, which is a good, informative, friendly place, with just enough scrappy flare-ups and cranky seniors (like me) to keep everyone on their toes. The discussion about the murdered LA photographer got a bit ugly, driven largely by someone who seemed to have joined the forum for that purpose, but I don't think that thread is typical.

Stop by the dog, cat, or bird thread on mu-43. I guarantee you'll leave smiling.

Well, I guess I'm part of the new bloods causing all the problems over on the mu-43 site. I'm about to do the same on this site, since I'm in the market for a new compact. But really don't you old timers go off and start a new fourm because I'll just find you again. I 've learned a lot on both fourms and like reading both. I've spent some time over on the FujiXspot fourm since the X20 is on my short list for a new compact. I'll try and keep the nob question for the DP site.:D

Bob, don't get me wrong! You are very welcome here. Some of us have been here for 3+ years. Just posters I know, and some I miss. Any rate, like Phrenic said, it's just the sheer volume. SC is a quieter site (as of this moment, at any rate). It's like being at a party with good friends (mu-43) that suddenly gets REALLY full and noisy (maybe the band gets started) so you move to a different room to keep talking (serious compacts). Nothing wrong with the loud party, and it's a lot of fun, but sometimes you just want to talk a little more deeply without shouting all the time.

Lol! I'll still be there -- but I'll self isolate for bit so I don't get too wound up and end up being terribly inappropriate.

And I think I need to have a t-shirt made that says something like: "Cranky Senior with a Camera", lol.

I haven't been to MU43 for a while unless I have m43 specific issues, even though I learned about SC by meeting BB at MU43. I feel much more at "home" here at SC. Cozier. Warmer. I suppose there are pros and cons to bigger forums vs smaller forums.

Amin ... can you start a FF forum??? :)

I would jump in. I've lately migrated to a big dslr and find that I have tonnes of questions and nowhere to go. I go to the usual haunts like fredmiranda, etc but the discussions on there are few and far between. Maybe I'm just more comfortable being in here. So ya, a FF Forum would be great.

Been on Mu43 for a few years. Great site - great people. Most of what I've learnt about photography came from spending endless hours there.

Then came the OM-D E-M5.

At this point, it was OM-D or nothing... I felt that Mu43 folks suddenly felt grown up, ready to compete with the big boys; the board became fragmented. Us lesser folks with the 12mp sensors were left like the irksome small brother who was always tagging along :) Having no intent (nor the means) to upgrade, it was time to look elsewhere ... thankfully there's still a alot of good discussion going on over here.

Been on Mu43 for a few years. Great site - great people. Most of what I've learnt about photography came from spending endless hours there.

Then came the OM-D E-M5.

At this point, it was OM-D or nothing... I felt that Mu43 folks suddenly felt grown up, ready to compete with the big boys; the board became fragmented. Us lesser folks with the 12mp sensors were left like the irksome small brother who was always tagging along :) Having no intent (nor the means) to upgrade, it was time to look elsewhere ... thankfully there's still a alot of good discussion going on over here.

I guess I must be a contrarian, lol. I sold my E-M5 and have "older" (well the G5 isn't too old, lol) Panasonic bodies now including an old GH1 that I am quite taken with -- 12mp sensor and all!

I would jump in. I've lately migrated to a big dslr and find that I have tonnes of questions and nowhere to go. I go to the usual haunts like fredmiranda, etc but the discussions on there are few and far between. Maybe I'm just more comfortable being in here. So ya, a FF Forum would be great.

You wouldn't go to an existing Canon or Nikon forum (not sure what brand you have)? They tend to have a lot of discussion on the more expensive bodies.

You wouldn't go to an existing Canon or Nikon forum (not sure what brand you have)? They tend to have a lot of discussion on the more expensive bodies.

Yeah. Hang out on POTN for a bit without a FF or 1D body or L lenses. Sometimes you'll feel like your $1000+ camera and bag of lenses are about as useful as an iphone camera.

I actually don't think mu-43 is so bad about E-M5 users "looking down" on others. I think there is a pretty big gap from original Oly sensor and the 16MP Sony, and I don't think it gets as much attention as maybe it deserves because people are somewhat careful not to insult anyone's gear. What did occur, though, was some crazy excitement about the E-M5. So I can see how that may have worn some people out who were not E-M5 owners. I had an E-M5 and I grew tired of it...

It does feel a bit like DPReview. I was inactive there for a rather long time because of personal problems, moving to the US etc. And when I started posting again, I was unpleasantly surprised with harsh (and, in my opinion, unjustified) remarks from some junior members. It was... unexpected.

Back