Fuji New Fuji X-M1 Rumors

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
This was posted on the Fuji Rumors website today. It looks nice and is smaller than the X-E1...

Hot! First images of the new Fuji X-M1!!! | Fuji Rumors

Some things: There's a mode dial instead of a shutter-speed dial, which I'm willing to forgive at this price point ($600-$650). There's also apparently no aperture ring, which is a bit of a problem but might be worked around. But modern Fuji's, to me, mean a viewfinder. It's what sets them apart. It's a mistake to leave it out, IMHO. As a result, I'm not sure there's a reason to give up an Olympus E-PM2 or E-PL5 for this, as nice as it is.

It's clearly a Fuji from it's good looks. I like the flippy screen, but for me, I'd prefer a viewfinder. But they are not targeting me. I hope they do well with it, but I can't believe they are ditching aperture rings on some lenses?! What are they smoking?

I imagine Fuji are trying to cover all the bases, to claim as much of the market as they can as people who previously had P&S cameras and DSLRs choose one of the mirrorless systems.

Some potential users will want a tilting screen and won't care about a viewfinder, and Fuji don't want to lose them to Olympus, Panasonic or anywhere else. Hence this new model.

-R

This doesn't look right eh?

nAZdVyh.jpg

A better size comparison

X-M1 vs X-E1 vs X-PRO1 vs X20 vs X100S size comparison! | Fuji Rumors

So it's basically an interchangeable lens X20 with an APSC sensor. What's not to like? Apart from the lack of a VF, the Sony NEX like unmarked control wheels and PASM mode dial. Maybe these changes make single handed operations easier, given that it has no VF. Firmly placed against the Oly EP5 market. Poor Olympus, its the last thing they needed.

Looks great to me. I've basically abandoned Fuji except for the wide end, with the 14mm now and probably the 10-24 when it becomes available. I like shooting wide from odd angles, particularly down low, so a flip up screen, assuming its OK in bright light, works fine for me. I'm just using a scratch and dent X-E1 for now, but this actually looks more useful to me for once the 10-24 shows up. I don't mind the lack of shutter speed dial - that's my least used item on any of the Fujis I've owned. I like having aperture rings, but that'll still be there on some lenses. Its there on the 14mm (although LOOSE as hell!) and I doubt it will be on the 10-24. I can cope. I'm not shooting Fujis like Fujis anymore anyway, since I sadly gave up the OVF (wasn't using any lenses it worked well with anyway) - I'm mostly just in it for the glass and sensors anymore and this little guy will work fine...

Although it seems it could be pretty unbalanced with any of the larger lenses on the front of it - the 14mm is not a small lens!

And no threaded shutter button, so no soft release??? Bummer - I've really come to like soft releases on these cameras...

-Ray

So it's basically an interchangeable lens X20 with an APSC sensor. ...

Not really. X20 dials are different, has no flip screen, and has the OVF with info. Other than that, maybe...

I hope this means we'll see an X30 with a flip screen though. Not a must have for me, but I do prefer it if given the choice.

Back