This is why your pictures...umm, absorb, imbibe, etc.!

A good read, and closer to home than I care for. Perhaps we could strive a bit more to have our members talking about composition, technique and purpose, and less about the gear used. I'd like that.

A good read, and closer to home than I care for. Perhaps we could strive a bit more to have our members talking about composition, technique and purpose, and less about the gear used. I'd like that.
Happy to make a commitment with you mate to frequent whatever section on here that focuses on those very virtues.
...though at least a good slice of our membership actually take photos...
...some even beyond the first week of unboxing that new camera. ;)

I like that the last paragraph asks for support by using their links to buy gear. Maybe if he spent more time shooting and less time writing about gear he wouldn't need others to support him. ;)

I make pictures every day, I live for it. Always looking for the shot. Sure I am interested in seeing what gear is out there, but I think of buying gear in the same way as cars. Soon as you are off the forecourt.....you lose money.

In spite of the waxing eloquent, even abusive tone, he has hit the dividing line, between photographers and camera folks, possible even himself. One of the most clearly defined missing ingredient for becoming one of the "greats", verses, picture taking pest, that friends and family are forever saying, "put that thing away"! I've been puttering at this for more years than you want to hear about, but have never moved into that league, of excellence that I so admire. Mostly because I am a machinery person first, then picture taker. I long ago recognized that I would never achieve that elevated status. Not because I did not understand the fundamentals, but but because I wasn't willing to discipline myself to the craft. I know what it takes in any field of study to become a "expert", or "master". So I content myself with what I enjoy the most. Picture taking of the elements of nature that make life such a pleasure on God's green earth!:)

Interesting read indeed. A lot to say about it too.... It would be great to have a thread about what makes a great photo and use some existing photos to do so.

Back