Sony Rx100 LCD is a scratch magnet ughh!!!

Darthpnoy88

Regular
Name
Rain
One of the minor irritations I have is how could Sony cheap out on the LCD or even allow this to scratches so easily heck even my 200 dollar Nexus 7 which is nearly a year old has no scratch at all. Btw the RX100 has always been in the jacket case since I purchased it. Now I have to get a LCD matte protector as I fear It might scratch other areas as well.

Attachments

• image-1756378595.jpg
    image-1756378595.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,598
  • image-2523741892.jpg
    image-2523741892.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,498
The RX100 LCD has a special coating - the name of which escapes me at this time in the morning!- to make it easier to see the screen in bright light etc. and I suspect it may be that which has scratched. I have to say that whenever I get a new camera, the first thing I get for it is an LCD protector - usually Zagg's Invisible Shield - especially when the LCD is the only way of viewing the scene (i.e. no OVF or EVF). Having said that I've not heard that the RX100 LCD is any more susceptible to scratching than the LCD on other cameras

The RX100 LCD has a special coating - the name of which escapes me at this time in the morning!- to make it easier to see the screen in bright light etc. and I suspect it may be that which has scratched. I have to say that whenever I get a new camera, the first thing I get for it is an LCD protector - usually Zagg's Invisible Shield - especially when the LCD is the only way of viewing the scene (i.e. no OVF or EVF). Having said that I've not heard that the RX100 LCD is any more susceptible to scratching than the LCD on other cameras

I was surprised I mean I rarely put screen protectors on my gadgets to be honest be it tablets, phones oh well doesn't totally affect the functionality of the camera.

I wouldn't call that a "scratch magnet". That's a couple of light scratches. It's also not the LCD screen. It's on the factory screen protector over the LCD screen. Looking along the edges of the LCD, you'll see where the protector ends and the actual screen begins. As posted, there's a AR coating on the factory screen protector. It looks like that's what you've scratched. Don't worry, eventually the whole coating will wear off. It does on all my Sony cameras. Then you scratches will magically disappear!!! If it bothers you now, you could peel off the factory screen protector and replace it with one of your own. Beware, it's an uber screen protector and is really stuck on well. Tearing it off with too much vigor could crack your LCD. Be gentle.

The screen protector from Sony specifically designed for the RX100 - about USD10 - is great. No scratches, no bubbles...it's like a semi-hard or semi-soft (depending on your bent) plastic. Had it on there for about a year now without a single drama. Thoroughly recommended. (y)

You have to be careful on some Sonys with screen protectors. I had an NEX5N, and put a matte protector on it which seemed to work well. But after a few months I noticed what looked like blue patches underneath it. I peeled it off and it took half the "TruBlack" coating with it - turns out the blue patches were that coating coming adrift. Luckily Sony replaced the screen for free.

I put the Sony Protector on as soon as I could.
I learned my lesson when my ordinary plastic shirt buttons scratched my Leica X1 LCD as the camera hung around my neck

The best protectors I've found are Sony's own Brand , Acmaxx and Giottos.
I've never had much luck with the cheaper film-like types ; it was either a battle removing bubbles or repositioning was impossible.

I put the Sony Protector on as soon as I could.
I learned my lesson when my ordinary plastic shirt buttons scratched my Leica X1 LCD as the camera hung around my neck

The best protectors I've found are Sony's own Brand , Acmaxx and Giottos.
I've never had much luck with the cheaper film-like types ; it was either a battle removing bubbles or repositioning was impossible.

Well said. Though I received and ExpertShield for the original X100 and loved it. I've bought one for the next gen X100. You've reminded me to get it stuck on.

But a big second on the Sony Protector. Top shelf.

Back