TCSTV Ricoh GR vs Nikon Coolpix A Shootout

Nice review! I'm not yet sure how I feel about user interfaces that require a two-handed approach; the X100 is one of them too, and for most shooting I can get away with using one hand most of the time, so it's not a big deal yet. However in some situations, especially when photography is not your main purpose and you might need your other hand for something else, a camera that can be fully operated with one hand is really attractive...

I guess I can not suggest a coolpix A subforum as I might be the only member:(
I may still be in there with you! I've been shooting all morning with both and it's incredibly close - whichever I'm shooting with at the moment is the one I like best. So, if I find it easier to get images that look right to me with the Nikon files, I'll probably be in there with you.

And I have to admit that the Ricoh folks (particularly on DPR, as usual) tend to seem like a small but VERY dedicated religion. Which tends to send me running in the other direction. Even when, as in this case, I share most of their beliefs.

-Ray

I'm likin' the review guys. I kinda liked the idea that there was a focus ring on the Nikon and would have preferred if Ricoh did something like that but hearing the review on it wasn't good. Maybe next time a fixed lens that doesn't retract with a focus ring on the Ricoh :)

That's quite common to all brand and unavoidable on internet, unfortunately.

And I have to admit that the Ricoh folks (particularly on DPR, as usual) tend to seem like a small but VERY dedicated religion. Which tends to send me running in the other direction. Even when, as in this case, I share most of their beliefs.

-Ray

-Ray

This is a primary reason I never return to the Pentax Forum.

The Internet is a marvelous tool for fomenting cultism.

That's quite common to all brand and unavoidable on internet, unfortunately.

I'm sure it happens with the Nikon DSLR crowd too, but nobody seems to give a rat's patoot about the Coolpix A. It's well under the radar on any forum except the Ricoh, where its often slammed for reasons that amount to 'because it ain't a Ricoh'! You can't hardly scare up a discussion about it on the Nikon forum.

-Ray

Ray, I don't think this is unique to the Ricoh forum. In fact, except for when new products are rumored or announced, the Ricoh forum is fairly congenial. Still, there are some strong personalities there at times.

Ray, I don't think this is unique to the Ricoh forum. In fact, except for when new products are rumored or announced, the Ricoh forum is fairly congenial. Still, there are some strong personalities there at times.

Oh no, not at all unique. Jeez, the Fuji forum has gone and totally lost its sh!t too - almost makes the m43 forum look civilized! It happens way too much almost everywhere.

-Ray

I can understand the bad blood between Ricoh and Nikon fan, it went way back :D

Ricoh GR-1 Vs Nikon 28Ti - Photo.net photo.net Forum

There are not that many threads on A in dpr's Coolpix subforum either, I think Nikon just priced it out of most people's consideration...

Well, I prefer Ricoh's one hand operation, but I can understand why others would prefer A, we all have different priorities and preferences. :)

Cheers,

You can't hardly scare up a discussion about it on the Nikon forum.

It's been my experience that by and large Nikon shooters are not camera enthusiasts and in general, they hold compact cameras in low regard. I went on a flickr walk with a bunch of Canikon-ites and many were curious about the X100. They asked why I didn't have tripod. I said I don't need one....the ISO is good up to 6400 and the lens is f2. They seemed to either not process that or didn't believe it. I told them it was an APS-C sized sensor.....same as the ones in their (predominantly cropped in this crowd) DSLRs. They still thought that their cameras were going to be better. We weren't shooting action. Street shooting, architecture, people. When they saw my photos later, many were amazed. How can that goofy retro camera make such clean images? Too bad you can't put a zoom on that thing, etc.....

I know that was a huge, sweeping generalization, but I think by and large most DSLR shooters that aren't gear heads (and most of them aren't) see the word Coolpix or see a compact camera and just assume lower quality.

I think we should have a shootout between shootouts: The Camera Store guys vs. Alamby and Kai from DigitalRev!

We've reached out to those guys, but they've never responded. If we have an option to shoot in Hong Kong, we'll try and make this happen.

It's been my experience that by and large Nikon shooters are not camera enthusiasts and in general, they hold compact cameras in low regard. I went on a flickr walk with a bunch of Canikon-ites and many were curious about the X100. They asked why I didn't have tripod. I said I don't need one....the ISO is good up to 6400 and the lens is f2. They seemed to either not process that or didn't believe it. I told them it was an APS-C sized sensor.....same as the ones in their (predominantly cropped in this crowd) DSLRs. They still thought that their cameras were going to be better. We weren't shooting action. Street shooting, architecture, people. When they saw my photos later, many were amazed. How can that goofy retro camera make such clean images? Too bad you can't put a zoom on that thing, etc.....

I know that was a huge, sweeping generalization, but I think by and large most DSLR shooters that aren't gear heads (and most of them aren't) see the word Coolpix or see a compact camera and just assume lower quality.

That's interesting. But then, my first cameras was a Canon 30D. Serious compacts were not even on my radar. I was new to photography, but eventually fell head over heels for photography, and a deeper study of the gear followed.

I wish I could focus on the photography and simply forget about the gear :rolleyes:

We've reached out to those guys, but they've never responded. If we have an option to shoot in Hong Kong, we'll try and make this happen.

I think you guys should just go to Hong Kong and show up on their doorstep to issue the challenge. With video running of the whole thing of course. A little 60 Minutes action with Kai running down the street to avoid your cameras would be CHOICE!! And if you need someone to carry your gear, I'll volunteer... :D

-Ray

Back