Moonshot . . . help!

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
A while back someone posted a really nice image of the moon taken, I think, with a superzoom camera.

I can't seem to locate it, would appreciate seeing it again and knowing what "the recipe" was for making the shot.

I tried shooting the full moon last night with the FZ 150 and G12, and got some detail but it wasn't really crisp.

Cheers, Jock

Here are a couple of samples. Moonshot taken with FZ150.

Moon_005_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The same image run through Picasa's HDR-ish processor:

Moon_005-001_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tripod. IS off since it's on a tripod. manual focus and zoom in to confirm you have focus. use 2 second timer to avoid camera shake. All the other stuff, you seem to have....your exposure looks good....I usually underexpose to save the highlights....the only shadow detail you'll lose is the night sky.....no biggie.

tripod. IS off since it's on a tripod. manual focus and zoom in to confirm you have focus. use 2 second timer to avoid camera shake. All the other stuff, you seem to have....your exposure looks good....I usually underexpose to save the highlights....the only shadow detail you'll lose is the night sky.....no biggie.

Tripod. check
Manual focus. check, although it is a bit fussy to get right.
IS off. Nope. I'll have to try that next time.
Self timer. check . . . used 10 seconds to make sure everything settles down

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Cheers, Jock

If you spot-meter on a full moon, you should be fine, as the moon will be the only thing being metered.

Full moons are kinda boring, though... Lili's shot is more interesting IMHO.

moon_800mm_4545.jpg

moon_0092.jpg

If you spot-meter on a full moon, you should be fine, as the moon will be the only thing being metered.

Full moons are kinda boring, though... Lili's shot is more interesting IMHO.

moon_0092.jpg

sidelight of crescent moon brings out textures
love this shot of airliner!

Back