Sigma DP2 Merrill Bag?

Kpfeifle

Rookie
Name
Kevin Pfeifle
Hi all,
Thinking I will purchase a DP2M soon, and would like to know what you all use as a small shoulder bag. Thinking the camera, several batteries and maybe a small card case for extra cards. Should be able to hold the camera with the hot shoe viewfinder attached. What does everybody like?

Kevin

Welcome to the forum!!

I carry a Billingham Hadley Pro, which is likely an overkill for most "serious compact" cameras. On the other hand, it's my opinion that carrying a small bag to carry a small camera is a little redundant. Billingham does make smaller bags like a Hadley Small and Hadley Digital. They are all kinda pricey, but the quality is simply awesome. I've had my bag for over two years, and it still feels and looks "new."

To carry my Leica X2 (+OVF so also bulkier) I ended up with a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 - a smallish messenger style bag that doesn't scream "photographer" quite as loudly (though a hotel waiter this winter took one look and said "so you're a photographer are you?" - but he owned one). The DP2 is I think a tad larger than my X2, which fits easily into about 2/3 of the bag's space with a 1/3 size compartment left over for - bottle of water, sunglasses, phone etc. Also nice about the ThinkTank is that it has 3 hidden/zipped compartments for cards, your wallet etc, an included rain cover, and a very nice padded shoulder strap. Overall very well designed, casual looking, and will be my city bag for a while, even with my Pentax K5 as long as I stay away from my long zoom.

Only negative that I could find was that Ken Rockwell loves these bags.... :rolleyes:

Hadley for me too. Bought it second hand off eBay.
Best thing is, it's super quiet when opening. Worst thing is. I suspect my job and years of rucksack use are the reasons why shoulder straps cause me discomfort anything over a couple of hours use. So if I go out for a day I pick one lens and carry in my hand. Or jacket pocket.

+1 Retrospective. And it will hold the DP1M and DP3M as soon as you'll get them... you know, resistance is futile... :D

Lol...it is very tempting! Would get the 3 before the 1. Thanks for all the great bag information. I think what I might do when the camera arrives is make a trip into NYC to B&H and actually look at a few of the recommended bags with the actual camera in hand. I'm kind of against getting a bigger bag as my main reason for getting this camera is the ability to travel lighter then my Domke bag with all my SLR equipment.

Kevin

Rob - The Traveller, Canvas Shoulder Bag from Millican

Millican Rob the Traveller received today. Light, cotton and natural fabric throughout, no nylon or velcro anywhere, just leather accents and brass fittings. it is softer than the Billinghams and hugs the body. Beautifully, stitched, it will last longer than I. I need only to put some micropore tape over the inside pocket brass zip fastner to avoid scratching the camera when inserted or returned. The strap is just the right length for me at 6' 2" with the bag sitting perfectly against my hip. Contrary to my earlier thoughts a camera lying deep in a case is safer. I have a tendency to fall when when descending hills. Very light padding protection on 3 sides. Mine is in the olive green, which is soft and a perfect blend with the grey-green eucalyptus foliage which surrounds me. Light, practical and elegant.

See the review at: Millican 'Rob' - The Perfect Sigma DP Camera Bag ? — MONO - CULTURE .

Xuereb...thanks for posting that and linking to your review! That may just be the perfect bag for me. I believe I was thinking about this all wrong...more from an SLR perspective. I was thinking of getting a camera bag, to hold all my camera gear. When I really stopped and thought about it, the whole point of getting a compact camera (for me anyway) is to downsize the gear. So other then the camera, finder and some batteries...what do I want to carry? Probably some brochures and maps, a notebook and fountain pen, maybe a book (or my Kindle), a snack and some water (and probably my phone). When I look at it from that point of view the Millican Rob seems perfect...so thanks again for your insight!

Kevin

My thoughts exactly. It isn't my review. I just found it. At most, apart from the camera, I will carry extra batteries, 2 round filters, a Lee 75 filter holder and ND grads, pencil, notebook, lens hood & maybe later a nodal rail. It has to be very light to retain the advantages of a compact and the whole package never becomes a burden. My hands are free to carry a small Feisol tripod.

I love the softness of the canvas, its slightly faded colour, texture and there are pockets aplenty. As to the zip handle, my current thoughts are to cut it and replace it with a strand of leather. When I compare the way the bag feels against nylon I just smile. The canvas is thick, but feels nicer than the stuff used by Billingham or Chapman Bags. It has a beautiful tactile feel in the hand.

I accept that it is not very waterproof in a serious downpour but if that were a risk I would carry a sealable freezer bag folded in one of the pockets. There is no harsh 'swish' sound of nylon, just silence. The inside lining too is nice cotton. My camera sits in a suede pouch within Rob. I found the suede pouch made in France a while ago on eBay for $8.00.

Back