Sigma First outing with the DP1

lattiboy

Regular
So, I finally got a chance to go out with the DP1 over the last two days.

I'm still not really sure how I feel about it. The total lack of IS, the incredibly slow responsiveness, and the comically horrible LCD do not make you want to use it..... but, once in a while you'll get a shot that really does blow you away!

I can't tell if this is a psychological effect or the true power of the sensor & glass.

Personally, I think a lot of this has to do with SPP and the way it processes the files. I'm so horrified by the UI on it I'm using LR more and more. I worked out some import settings that seem to mimic the look you get out of SPP.

I'm going to give it one or two more outing before I decide on long term ownership.

1)

5596911326_9c4750b0db_b.jpg

SDIM0075-2 by lattiboy, on Flickr

2)

5596297647_80923bb7ab_b.jpg

SDIM0046 by lattiboy, on Flickr

3)

5596296849_ac76bc6afb_b.jpg

SDIM0011 by lattiboy, on Flickr

4)

5596297293_a5c154beb1_b.jpg

SDIM0014 by lattiboy, on Flickr

5)

5596322461_2654f29282_b.jpg

SDIM0080-2 by lattiboy, on Flickr

Well, The camera is designed to make you crazy in the beginning. It's slooooow, like a box, awkward and the sounds, well...I like the kind of robotic sounds it makes.
After a few dozen nice images, all the bad stuff goes away and you realize that you have a gem.
Your off to a good start... hang in there for a spell....
Don

For me, the strongest impression of "realness" and being there is found in your first and last - there's something that makes me feel as though I can reach out and touch those old trucks. I like that feeling.

Looking forward to more pictures and more of your own reactions, latti.:popcorm2:

It does take some stunning images but in the end I just didn't have the patience to keep mine. The straw that broke the camel's back was that the software refused to work properly on my Mac and Lightroom just didn't give the same "look". In the end I got just £100 for it :( Your pictures make me wish that I had kept it!!!

Lattiboy,
Mate these images are stunning! To be honest I can't really say which are my faves - Andy's right the church shots are nice (great detail and perfect exposure), also with BB that the old car shots simply have punch!

Again the DP shines when it comes to output....and it seems there's not many out there who would argue. The majority are stuck on the user experience from an inputs 'perspective'. My only advice is give it more time and I mean genuine quality time between you and the camera. Shoot more and see how you evolve with the DP...the beauty is that the images it produces will keep spurring you on...I promise. As I've said before, you might even find the Sigma changes your approach a little. It will slow you down. At first this is will seriously grate with you, but - again with time - you might appreciate the meditative place that lies beyond that frustration.

It is certainly changing me, and I learn something new each day. Yesterday, I was walking with the DP2 and thought I'd try some shots from the hip. So I was focus on hyperfocal distances judging the distances between the camera, the subject and the angle of view (since shooting from the hip I couldn't judge by what was on the LCD or finder). Then the manual focus wheel really clicked for me and I could understand why Sigma printed the numbers where they did. Stupid place for them when I have the camera at eye level, but perfect for shooting from the hip! "Ahhhh, I get it Sigma" I thought. OK my results were mediocre, but it showed me again that the folks at Sigma might be right when they they say this is a serious photographer's tool.....and, no, it's not only because many of us don't smile while using it.

So as Don would say, photography is about the journey and the places you end up both physically and emotionally/spiritually (well maybe I embellished his opinion a little :blush:). So just concentrate on the moment, empty your mind (including your expectations), breathe, and just be with the Sigma. Then reflect, only when back at your computer, on your journey together....like film I've found that the DP is not about chimping*....the quality of the LCD will see to that ;)

* "Chimping" - is a new phenomenon in photography where photographer's review every image on the rear of the camera - at the expense of the moments happening out front of it. I must note here that people get so frustrated with Sigma's choice of LCD for their DP range....and yet it is the same resolution screen that you get on the Leica digital M range. Hmmm....I wonder why? ;)

Latti, please keep us up to date on your experiences....

The DP's play tricks with you.
Many get then and sell them off.
After a while they look at the images and can't believe their eyes. Forget everything bad you hear about them.
They are exactly what Sigma claims them to be.
A camera for the artist. The artist is concerned about output...period.

After a while they look at the images and can't believe their eyes. Forget everything bad you hear about them.

Well said Don! I knew your words would be more concise, insightful and to the point. Apologies again for the embellishments on your perspective :blush: But I must ask, are you still shooting with a DP yourself? Also how do, or 'did', you find using the DP in comparison to a rangefinder - Leica digital or otherwise? Anything similar and any key differences?

Wow, thanks so much for the feedback fellas! Stillshunter: Thanks especially and you should know after my 2nd outing (which I'm about to post) I fear I may be a Sigma shooter for life. Which is kind of horrifying when I consider the costs and availability of equipment! :)

Great to hear Lattiboy! I'll duck over to your other thread in a second for a look-see. Meanwhile, I'm glad you're warming to the little Sigma and look forward to witnessing your experiences and growth together. So please keep sharing on here.

Curious that you and I are on a similar path. Although, we're approaching from opposite end, we'll both end up at the same point with a DP1 and DP2. s. I'm on the hunt for a DP1 and probably the DP1x - just because the controls match that of the DP2s - as we speak. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a used one on the market. Might be my first 'new' purchase for a while. Ewwww..... Great thing is that all the accessories - e.g., AML1, filters, etc., will be good for both. So each is worth the investment.

I think this would make for quite a nice kit bag - 28/4 and 41/2.8...Now we just need Sigma to release their DP3 with it's 85mm f2 lens, and we would be set! ;)

You are so right. I sold my DP2 last year and replaced it with an X1. The Leica's sensor @ lens combo produces very nice files, almost "flawless". However, compared to a DP in its comfort zone, the bayer sensor output looks flat, lifeless, a little dull (Leicaholics may forgive me), at least to my eye. I'm considering selling the X1 and use the funds for a DP2x and X100, the former for good light and B&W and the latter for general and low light shooting.

Back