Sony 18-55 or thirdy party lens

Heather, you need to go into Menu, --> Set Up. Then scroll up to "Release w/o Lens" and Enable it. Then you're good to go.

Back to the discussion about the kit lens, I love it for its range and very admirable performance in good light condition. I haven't used it in low light so I don't know. But I heard reports that AF will give you problem in low light. In that case, I would go for MF, which leads to another point: the focusing ring on the 18-55 is really nice. It is so much better than the one on most Canon lenses (which is my original setup). I found out that the NEX will boost the brightness of the image to help with focusing if you attach the flash to the camera. Once you get the focus, just flip the flash down and take the photo. :)

In good light, it performs very well. Here are some samples:

5683684755_d70b6c03c6_z.jpg
[/url]

YellowView attachment 35803

TulipView attachment 35804

Thank you sir! My other half has the kit lens and we've taken some pretty tasty shots over the last few weeks. I think I will probably buy the kit lens. As well. And anything else shiny that catches my eye. Better make sure I can pay my taxes first, but after that we're all good.

On the same thought, Canon FD has many good lenses for cheap. Something like a 50mm f/1.4 can be had for around $50 (depending on the version, I guess). Olympus OM lenses are also a good alternative. I have an 21mm f/3.5 and can't wait to test it on the NEX once the adapter arrives.

Wowser! Well, I am very pleased with myself, I can now take pictures of peoples nosehair from the other side of the street! Well, maybe not that much, but I can do a fair bit of zooming. Vivitar 28-210mm f3.5-5.3 1:4xmacro lens. I hope that makes sense to somebody. I am learning that it is mostly a tripod job. I am also learning that the aperture ring is right next to the locking ring, and should you accidentally twist the wrong one then the whole affair will fall off the front of the camera with a mighty crash across the kitchen floor whilst you have a minor heart attack.

Back