Stroll Strolling at night with Ektar 100

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
Scored a cheap tripod off craigslist, took out an old Minolta XD-11 that has no functional meter. I used my X100 as a meter for it - I'd fix the ISO and aperture to match the Minolta, then either meter for the time, or trial expose until I found the right time, then use a cable release on the minolta and time it with my watch up to my ear.

a106863007.jpg

a106863016.jpg

a106863020.jpg

so how long were the exposures?

excellent results btw & the sort of method I'd have to use (if I had a camera that could do long exposure readings - max 4 secs)

They ranged from 3 seconds to 13. Most of them were in the 4-6 second range, inlcuding those above. Also that's 4 or 5 seconds at ISO100, and never at f2.8 - usually in the middle, like 5.6. So with an ISO of 400 and an aperture of 2.8, that exposure time could've been more like 1/4 second. But the ISO100 film has nicer grain and detail, and the old Rokkor lenses are noticeably sharper when not wide open, so I ran them long.

Unless you're after a specific effect, after a minimum amount of light (time) the more time you add the different the effect, not necessary better or worse, just different.

Gary

Back