Pentax Do I want a K-01?

At that price, which is less than the $298 U.S. that I paid for my new Panasonic LX7, I'd say there's very little risk in it for you. And you're getting another camera with an APS-C sensor in it that turns out image quality like the K-5 and K-30.

I love using my DA Limited primes on my K-01. If you don't have any Pentax lenses already, the DA 40 XS f/2.8, which was made for the K-01, makes sense. But the DA 35 f/2.4 is another relatively inexpensive option as is the DA 50 f/1.8. And any of the variants of the DA 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 also work well.

Just make sure you have the latest firmware update, which will give you focus peaking and speed up auto focus. Did I mention that, since the K-01 uses contrast-detection auto focus, that you don't have to worry about any front- and back-focusing issues as one does on some DSLRs? It's true.

I remember just last year, a K5 body only at $999 caused near riots........people were buying second bodies and stocking up on them. Now you can get that same great sensor for $220. Wow. That's so cool.

The K-01 is a highly underrated camera mainly because it looks unusual and unfortunately was reviewed by most publications prior to the release of the firmware updates which have greatly improved the AF speed.

I bought one just because of the price (and because I missed using the Pentax Limited primes that I used years ago) and I loved the K-01 so much that I ended up purchasing a second one just to have an identical backup. These closeout prices won't last for.ever and I can't think of another camera with this sensor and these specs that you'll find for less than $300. I bought two K-01s for half the price of my prior camera purchase (OM-D E-M5)!

The question is, how many copies of the same sensor do you need? If you want a second body for your existing lenses, fine. If you want it just because it's cheap...

Still, at $220 brand new it really has nowhere to drop from there.

At that price you can probably make money by melting it down and selling the precious metals. Or spend an extra $100 on three classic manual focus primes and have a great starter kit for a budding art photographer.

I've decided not to. As Nic points out, I already have that sensor... and added to the fact that I really detest the design... I was getting swept away. I can get a 10% discount too, which brings it down to $198 (which right now is $207US). Its a great price, and if I had been hanging out for it, I wouldnt hesitate... but I *am* hesitating, and that tells me the short answer is a NO.

Other Aussies reading this might want it, in which case go the the webstore and grab it while you can.
https://www.crkennedy.com.au/pentax/index.php?q=node/326

I *am* seriously tempted by the 16-45 f/4 for $299 minus 15% but the discounts only apply until 1st April. $299 is still cheaper than most other Aus sellers.

I've decided not to. As Nic points out, I already have that sensor... and added to the fact that I really detest the design... I was getting swept away. I can get a 10% discount too, which brings it down to $198 (which right now is $207US). Its a great price, and if I had been hanging out for it, I wouldnt hesitate... but I *am* hesitating, and that tells me the short answer is a NO.

While it easily to logically attribute the price to historically high Australian dollar, the lowering cost of producing electronics, and what seems to be a push by Pentax to clear stock of a model that apparently sold in lower numbers than anticipated, a sub $200 pricetag for a brand new APS-C camera body released only last year just seems incredible.

Back