Snapseed

Briar

Hall of Famer
I've just updated Snapseed on the ipad2. It was supposed to fix the crashing issue. Before it used to occasionally crash, now it's constantly crashing. If you have not updated it yet, I'd recommend waiting until they fix the fix! :rolleyes:

Karen, thanks. What is the latest version number? I'm running v 1.5.2 on a 'classic' iPad (original) with no problems, but that's likely an apples to oranges comparison.

Google bought Nik and killed Snapseed; there will be no updates. There was a line in their statement about support for the existing customers, though. But it rests to be seen how keen they will be on that if they decided to dump it in the first place.

They have integrated some of the Snapseed stuff into something else... cant remember what. But, this is typical of large corporations, they buy something and kill it off because they think it competes in some way, or because it has something they don't. Amazon did it to Stanza (but the kindle app sucks by comparison), Apple has done it with whatever Siri was before Apple owned it, Microsoft has done it over and over again (hotmail springs to mind, as does skype) and Google has done it as well. Who remembers deja-news and feedburner?

Even though Snapseed for Win/Mac is no longer sold, it is still a great little program and as long as it still works with future OS changes then I will continue to use it. The official link in my previous post may well be a source of the program for those who don't already have it.

Just to be clear, my understanding is that only the desktop version of Snapseed has been killed. The mobile versions for iOS and Android live on.

Just to be clear, my understanding is that only the desktop version of Snapseed has been killed. The mobile versions for iOS and Android live on.
Yes, only the desktop version. On another note, I kept a copy of the older not-google snapseed and may reinstall it. I'm not sure I even like the google mobile version. Also, wondering if the massive price reduction in the nik suite is a precursor to a dump. They are trimming a lot of stuff that is not in G+, or adding it in there, so soon, you wont be able to use it without also using G+

They have integrated some of the Snapseed stuff into something else... cant remember what. But, this is typical of large corporations, they buy something and kill it off because they think it competes in some way, or because it has something they don't. Amazon did it to Stanza (but the kindle app sucks by comparison), Apple has done it with whatever Siri was before Apple owned it, Microsoft has done it over and over again (hotmail springs to mind, as does skype) and Google has done it as well. Who remembers deja-news and feedburner?

In alll fairness, did they? I thought that when Google bought Nik that Snapseed only existed for the iOS platform. It was only after the purchase that the Android and desktop versions came into being. It could simply be a commercial decision that the desktop version can't support itself.

Gordon

Sorry, but that simply is not true. I bought a desktop version long before the acquisition. And received regular notifications of upgrades and download links for the files. Also I won a prize in one of Nik's photo competitions and gave away two desktop versions to members here. So it must have existed before :)

I apologise. You are correct. Snapseed for OSX was released in Jan '12 and Windows a month later. I just had it in my head somewhere it was much later.

I either need more or less caffeine. I just haven't decided which it is, yet.

Gordon

Back