Fuji Fuji XPro1 alongside 43mp Sigma.

Dave Kai-Piper

A few weeks before this shoot took place I had shot a bridal collection with the D800, and quite happy with the results, I mention this for two reasons.. It was the first time I had used my funky homemade background and raised another question. Do Nikon and Canon still have the major monopoly as camera manufacturers? The D800 was, as most people know, just wonderful to use, but is there another way ?

For this shoot I wanted to try something a little bit different. Anyone who knows me will know that I also have a Fuji X-Pro1 at my disposal and also I have a Sigma SD1 Merrill. Many people have been asking if these cameras are a real alternative to Nikon and Canon in a professional world. A hard question to answer when not in context, however, I would still say that Nikon and Canon have both the Wedding and Sports areas wrapped up, and lets put Hasselblad and such aside for a moment. In the Fashion + Art worlds, Canon and Nikon no longer have the best cameras, no longer are they safe. People like Sigma & Fuji are quite rightly fighting back. the New Global Vision range from Sigma is astonishingly different from the glass of old and Fuji, well.. Fuji are just creating a new brand of 'Billinghamesque' style and chic with the X-Series of cameras. I just adore everything about the new range.

Dave Kai-Piper | Photography

Dave-Kai-Piper144.jpg

Dave-Kai-Piper147.jpg

I agree with your views. I think the only thing that these non-DSLR cameras lack (which may or may not be a problem for some), is control over a slightly larger range of depth of field that a full frame offers. But other than that, I think the quality of these new cameras quite adequately satisfies image quality standards alongside the DSLRs, and the next step up would be into the realm of medium format cameras.

I think the future lies outside of the Canon/Nikon roadmap. They shuffle forward like zombies, whilst the likes of Fuji and a few others are doing much more interesting things. I got rid of my DSLR are few years ago, and will never go back:)

Back