Mr Tambourine Man

Briar

Hall of Famer
In November my brother died suddenly. It came a great shock to us, he looked fine, but he had a heart condition we didn't know about, and nor did he. He had a moment's warning that something was wrong and then he was gone.

He was a keen photographer and would have signed up to Amin's Fuji forum straight away as he had the X10, the X100 and his eyes were set on the XPro1 as his next purchase. His girlfriend gave me his X10 earlier this year as a keepsake.

It would have been my brother's birthday in February so as a tribute I shot 45 pictures, one for each year of his life. My brother was not a Bob Dylan fan to my knowledge, but his daughter, when she was a child, sang the song to him in full and she remembered he was so proud because she knew all the words. The song was played at his funeral so I used the words as my inspiration.

You can see the pictures here: February 2013 - a set on Flickr

Not all my pictures are in focus, but it seemed fitting to me to include them anyway.

Karen, I'm so sorry about your brother - that is way too young. But I guess we never know what's coming. A sobering reminder never to waste a day.

Your photo tribute is very moving. I'd been following these images right along on Flickr without knowing the story behind them. Now that I do, I'll go back through them as a full set.

All of my sympathy,

-Ray

My condolences Karen. The loss of one who is a brother, father, photographer, is terribly tough. The camera must provide you with some solace, holding the camera your brother held, seeing images the way your brother would see them, the ability to capture the images your brother would have captured.

I hope you continue this tribute to and of your brother.

Gary

I played the song in the background while I watched your images as a slide show.

Hauntingly beautiful images Karen. I'm very sorry for your loss.

[video=youtube;KE_hDWMftgc]

Karen,
Thank you for doing this very powerful series in tribute to your late brother.You've found a way to express your loss that is moving and universal.I'm going to view it again as Boid has done,with This song that has new meaning playing as well.May your memories sustain you in your time of sorrow.

What a wonderful tribute to your brother, the images are beautiful. I am sorry that he passed away so young. I'm sure we would have enjoyed his presence here on SC.

Great series to commemorate such a sad event. As I looked through them Bob Dylan's title Desolation Row kept jumping up. The words are not as fitting, but Chris Smithers version seems to have some of the feeling. [video=youtube;07QS1ChrPD0]
Thank you for sharing them.

Back