Industrial Accident Emergency Response Photos

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
There was an unfortunate accident at our plant you can read about here: Worker Injured at Claymont Steel -- but I have no further comment on the incident other than to say the man will be okay and praise God for that!

We had an incredible response from the local rescue people and I was left very impressed (as I always am) by how well served we are in northern Delaware. These photos show the response and a couple of Fire Chief Anthony Goode (corrected, I had said Alvin... sorry Chief Goode) but I can't show you any of the actual rescue, sorry.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 hand held for all these.

8557904014_623bf57850_z.jpg

Emergency Response Team Photos by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8557903874_049b3b8c93_z.jpg

Emergency Response Team Photos by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8556794429_b4d7a1381d_z.jpg

Emergency Response: Chief Anthony Goode by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8556794317_aab5ac3b38_z.jpg

Emergency Response: Chief Anthony Goode by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And one that HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the accident! It's dramatic but it's daily life in the steel mill. It's our big melting furnace with a large amount of already molten steel being "charged" with another load of scrap steel to be melted. We have to do it in stages as scrap for the entire amount we melt won't fit in the furnace all at once.

8556794113_59002c721f_z.jpg

Charged Up! by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Glad to hear your colleague's going to be OK :) and those are some really great photos you got! You're really getting a LOT out of the LX7!
Also, I can't believe the size of the firetruck in the first photo, in Holland our fire trucks are probably about half as long:tongue:

Glad to hear your colleague's going to be OK :) and those are some really great photos you got! You're really getting a LOT out of the LX7!
Also, I can't believe the size of the firetruck in the first photo, in Holland our fire trucks are probably about half as long:tongue:

Some of our fire trucks are also smaller. That is a special Rescue unit jam packed with specialized equipment for aerial rescue, confined space rescue and I don't know what all! I do know that if you are hurt somewhere that it's hard to get into, then you want to know that truck is coming.

The punchline though is that a SECOND one showed up later! These guys respond in a big way when you call!

That last photo is outstanding.

That last one is not a single shot. I did a 3 shot exposure bracket and made an HDR in post. The 11 frames per second shooting of the LX7 really means it takes not much longer to shoot a bracket than it does a single shot. Hold down the button and it's all over almost before you know it's started, lol.

Thanks!

Did you do any sharpening in post?

I am in the same camp as Scott Kelby when he asked the rhetorical question, "What do we as photographers sharpen?" and his answer was "Everything."

Now, to clarify: most cameras sharpen when they do their jpegs, and RAW isn't sharpened. I sharpen differently for different purposes. I tend to use lower radius and higher amount for printing, and larger radius and smaller amounts for digital presentation. And exactly what I choose ends up depending on the subject and what leaves the least objectionable artifacts because sharpening always does show at some level. I almost always use a lot of masking to keep from sharpening too much noise.

For HDR I tend to do 0.5 pixel radius at like 25 to 50 percent with 50% detail extraction (in Lightroom) on each individual shot. Depending on the result I may or many not sharpen the output of the HDR engine, usually at a higher radius and again with a lot of masking.

Well it looks great. I wasn't sure if it was straight-out-of-camera processing by the LX7 itself or by you in post. Those are really nice images.

I am in the same camp as Scott Kelby when he asked the rhetorical question, "What do we as photographers sharpen?" and his answer was "Everything."

Now, to clarify: most cameras sharpen when they do their jpegs, and RAW isn't sharpened. I sharpen differently for different purposes. I tend to use lower radius and higher amount for printing, and larger radius and smaller amounts for digital presentation. And exactly what I choose ends up depending on the subject and what leaves the least objectionable artifacts because sharpening always does show at some level. I almost always use a lot of masking to keep from sharpening too much noise.

For HDR I tend to do 0.5 pixel radius at like 25 to 50 percent with 50% detail extraction (in Lightroom) on each individual shot. Depending on the result I may or many not sharpen the output of the HDR engine, usually at a higher radius and again with a lot of masking.

Thanks, James (and everyone else). I guess that was a yes-or-no question, lol. I have gotten a few "what do you do in post" type questions so I got immediately on my soapbox!

It is an interesting place to work though it gets a little too interesting at times.

Looks an interesting place to photograph even without the emergency drama. Good to hear that the man survived the incident, sounded awful. Great colour with the LX7, a capable camera in your very capable hands. Well done!

Thanks, Briar! Something about it has kept me working there for 21 years -- which even I find hard to believe, lol. When I first started in the fall of 1991 I didn't intend to stay long at all.

Back