Is my DSLR compact enough? Small enough?

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
If you've been wondering whether or not it's OK to discuss your smaller DSLR here or post photographs, please check out this thread which has recently been updated: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/what-compact-my-camera-compact-16/ The bottom line is if the camera is larger than what feels small to you, you won't consider it small, but if it feels small to you, it is small enough.:flowers_2:

I hope this will put people's minds at ease. Please make yourself comfortable and don't hesitate to start a thread about your camera, if one doesn't already exist. You may certainly also post in the various image threads, and/or start an image thread in here devoted to your particular compact DSLR.

P.S.* It's up to each member as to whether or not they want post under their photographs what kind of camera they were using. If people wish to list their camera, and want to include more information such as f stop, lens, etc., by all means please do!

*edited to make thing clearer.

BB, I agree with everything you said except for this part:
P.S. It is always preferred if members will post under their photographs what kind of camera they were using. If people wish to include more information such as f stop, lens, etc., by all means please do!

Sometimes - especially in W/NW threads and the "Image Threads" forums in general - members may want to de-emphasize the gear and just focus on the picture. I think this is a personal preference which will vary from one person to the next.

My DSLR is NOT a compact camera.

picture.php

Nikon E3, full-frame Digital camera. Hard to believe things can change so much in 14 years.

OK, I violated da' code. I've always wanted a full size sensor camera and finally bought one. Is it compact? Probably for The Hulk. It's a used original Canon 5D. I don't think I'll be carrying it around like my X10 or X100 but still, the images are pretty incredible. An enjoyable alternative. One of my first shots, ISO800, 50mm, f2.
http://mountaintroll.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v20/p1045808116-5.jpg
. . . David

Attachments

• p1045808116-5.jpg
    p1045808116-5.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 477
I didn't think that the dslr's were compacts. Not sure I can consider measuring by the size of the thing particularly with a 100mm macro lens on it [makes it front heavy] however its a canon 1.6 crop Rebel XSi so a bare bones consumer grade. I see the ff's or even the 7D and it looks small in comparison.

I didn't think that the dslr's were compacts. Not sure I can consider measuring by the size of the thing particularly with a 100mm macro lens on it [makes it front heavy] however its a canon 1.6 crop Rebel XSi so a bare bones consumer grade. I see the ff's or even the 7D and it looks small in comparison.

Well, Its like they say... if its compact for you.. then its compact. I couldnt use one of the Nikon or Canon big guns without using a truck. But my K-5 is a midget by comparison, and I can shoot with it one handed (when using primes) so I consider it small enough to be compact.

That said, I post more from the GRD, XZ and X100 than I do from the K-5.

If anybody gets fretful about their camera size, they could go to camerasize.com and check it out. Its very enlightening.

[edit] example: The Fuji XS-1 is bigger in all dimensions (not including lens) than the K-5 and many small DSLRs...

OK, I violated da' code. I've always wanted a full size sensor camera and finally bought one. Is it compact? Probably for The Hulk. It's a used original Canon 5D. I don't think I'll be carrying it around like my X10 or X100 but still, the images are pretty incredible. An enjoyable alternative. One of my first shots, ISO800, 50mm, f2.
http://mountaintroll.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v20/p1045808116-5.jpg
. . . David

The 5D is the only camera I regret selling. The images have a 'feel' I love. All my lenses were great with it, but the 50/1.4 was perfect. Enjoy.

If anybody gets fretful about their camera size, they could go to camerasize.com and check it out. Its very enlightening.

Thanks for that site!

The Canon EOS Rebel XSi (450D) is smaller than the Pentax K-5. It is also smaller than the 60D. 7D and the MK's.

Canon EOS Rebel XSi is 2% (2.2 mm) narrower and 1% (0.5 mm) taller than Pentax K-5.
Canon EOS Rebel XSi is 15% (11.1 mm) thinner than Pentax K-5.
Canon EOS Rebel XSi [524 g] weights 29% (216 grams) less than Pentax K-5 [740 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Canon EOS Rebel XSi dimensions: 128.8x97.5x61.9 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Pentax K-5 dimensions: 131x97x73 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

Even in sensor it is smaller:

Canon Rebel 12MP 1.6 Crop
Pentax K-5 16 1.5 Crop

So I guess my big camera is smaller than yours. And I can shoot one handed unless using a macro or long telephoto/zoom where I would want extra stability or manual focusing. I haven't mastered holding and manually focusing the camera with one hand. In fact not sure that is even possible with a wrist strap. You must mean shooting with autofocus. :) My smaller camera as you know is the G12. The May Photo Challenge was probably 90% or more G12 for me. I think on a couple shots I used the DSLR. Would like at least a 7d or its successor for Macro. I don't think my small hands could handle the MK's but a 7d would give me more stability/counterbalance when using the longer lenses and still, for me, be gripable. I have small hands.

Trying to figure out what is compact without a yes/no rule in place is arbitrary. In the end it's kinda like 'jumbo shrimp", is it jumbo or is it shrimp?

Using that site, I'm stunned to see how big the E3 and E5 are compared to the K-5. Those were supposed to be small dSLRs made around the smaller sensor. Those things are utterly huge and comparable to a 5D in certain dimensions.

Using that site, I'm stunned to see how big the E3 and E5 are compared to the K-5. Those were supposed to be small dSLRs made around the smaller sensor. Those things are utterly huge and comparable to a 5D in certain dimensions.
They are *monsters*. I picked one up to look at when I went to PMA at Darling Harbour (Sydney) a couple of years ago and I almost dropped it.

I never thought DSLR is compact, rangefinder is closer to what I think is compact. I would say iphone is really compact.
My perception about compact is something I would not feel uncomfortable to carry with me all the time, not extruding. In this sense, DSLR is never compact to me, not even the Sony nex system.
M43 with pan cake lens is getting there.

Actually my idea of compact is something you can stuff in a purse or pocket and generally fixed lens. Once it has interchangeable lenses that protrude from the front of the camera I don't see it as all that compact. My dslr is smaller than pro models but i don't really consider it a compact camera even if it is fun to joke about it. Rangefinders.. M43, they are all borderline IMHO. But I like that there is variety to this group and appreciate the range of options, besides the really large pro cameras, that Amin is going for.

For me, this is compact enough for most motorcycle stories.

5117613985_7c63c9fc0a_z.jpg

That's is a lot of high quality Pentax stuffed into a LowePro Slingshot 100. I can wear that all day on my back riding a sportbike
The picture's a couple of years old, so today it is something like this:

7681869956_210de50749_z.jpg

I need redundancy - I can't come back and tell the editor that I didn't take photos because a camera flaked out.

What's the smallest kit I'd consider taking? Maybe a pair of Panasonic G3/G5s or OMD-EM5s and a trio of primes - Panny 14 f/2.5, Panny 20 f/1.7, Oly 45 f/1.8. And the Pentax Q. I always take it. It hangs around my neck while riding and also shoots 1080p video. I'd even consider a pair of Nikon V1s with the 10-30 and 30-100 zooms. I'd have to work harder to get the right shots, but doable.

Back