Which is the RX100 vs. EPL5

wt21

Hall of Famer
It's not hard to figure out, but it surprised me a bit. Was just playing around, stuck in the house due to the snow. This is the RX100 vs. the EPL5 w/P20 f1.7. Focus point was on that blue and red pillow. RX100 shot was in camera jpg. EPL5 shot was RAW with LR "clarity" added.

I stumbled upon this because I was testing the lens cap lens vs. the RX100, and thought they'd be a little close. Not even. So, I grabbed the 20/1.7 to test, and was very surprised how close they are. I'd even give the edge in sharpness to the RX100 (DR to the EPL5), but as it's not entirely an apples-to-apples comparison, I can't really draw precise conclusions. But they are in the same ballpark, surprisingly.

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-09%20at%2012.19.37%20PM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-09%20at%2012.18.01%20PM.jpg

white balance is a whole lot nicer on the right hand pics (RX100 on the left has a green cast). DR is indeed larger on the E-PL5. Sharpness is a bit difficult to compare due to different MP counts, but very nice on both! Which f-numbers did you use?

f/numbers were wide open. 1.7 on the P20 and 3.2 on the RX100 (that was wide open, as I moved it to ~40mm equivalent for similar AOV).

I also shot f/2.8 and 8.0 on the P20. Looking at them, the f/2.8 is a bit sharper. I should have used that one for comparison.

I didn't notice the green cast before, but now I see it.

More detail in the cloth texture on the pillow on the left. They both have a color cast to my eyes, which is not unusual if you are shooting daylight filtered through glass. I'd bump some green into the right, which seems too magenta to me, and add a bit of blue and magenta to the left. There's also noticeable CA on the right-hand sample at 100%. I know; who cares what shows up at 100%! To my eyes the left wins on resolution hands down.

Back