Feedback Thinking about growing the S.C. Network...

Amin

Hall of Famer
For me, S.C. is basically the mothership. I blogged here for years before there was a forum, and I love that it encompasses all types of cameras, so people who like the community don't leave when they switch cameras.

At the same time, my main system is Micro 4/3, and I enjoy spending time on a site dedicated to that system. I spend more time at Mu-43.com than anywhere.

I think a lot of folks like having a system-dedicated site, and TalkNEX is developing into a really nice place for NEX users. I'm not shooting much NEX these days, but I enjoy visiting there - great community and photography.

Now I'm thinking about adding two more sites to the "S.C. Network":

The first one is something I've given a LOT of thought to over the years, but I think it will take a lot of work to do right, and I'm not quite ready to go there yet. Basically it would be a forum for sharing images and discussion, and gear talk would be completely not allowed. No "what lens did you use?" or anything of that kind. Strictly for discussion of the images, etc. I know there is a need for such a place, but I need more time to figure out how to do it. It's something that I'm sure would fizzle out without the right start, because - frankly - people like gear.

The second one is much easier and something I could get up and running in a day or two. A forum/blog for Fuji users. I have been a fan of Fuji for many years (wrote this blogpost almost 5 years ago to the day), and I think they're absolutely nailing it with all of the X cameras.

A huge factor pushing me to start a Fuji X site is that many if not most of the friends I've met via Mu-43, S.C., and TalkNEX have become Fuji users, and I want to create a place where I can continue to hang with everyone. I know about Fuji X Forum. How is that place? Are many of you active over there? Do you think there is room for another dedicated Fuji site?

Would love to get some feedback/suggestions about these ideas.

Btw, I just bought xtogs.com - seems like a nice, catchy, short URL if I decide to do the Fuji thing. Was pretty surprised that domain was still available!

This is a great idea and the fuji X is really growing in popularity
I have also noticed that the fuji part of this site is the most active one for the moment, and once the X100s, new X lenses and X20 comes out fuji will grow further.

On the other side, if every "big" system has it's own site, won't SC bleed out then ?

Would be great to have a site with just photos too ;)

On the other side, if every "big" system has it's own site, won't SC bleed out then ?

Thanks for your comments, Wolf. Of course I've wondered about that too, but I don't think SC will bleed out. In fact, I think it makes SC stronger - that's why I think of it as an "SC Network". Someone may spend a lot of time at Mu-43 because they're shooting MFTs and then switch to spending lots of time at TalkNEX because they're shooting NEX. Where can they continue to hang with friends they met at Mu-43? Here at S.C. At least that's how I see it.

Yeah that true

Or maybe you could make one global page where you can choose
nex forum, mu43, SC, fuji X, ... and what would be great is merging accounts (so not a seperate account on each forum)
But I don't know if that's easy to do (technicaly)

The image only section would get my vote. I dont own an X anything, but why not. I've thought about all the Fuji models
in the past, But I just cant see me liking them as much as my GXR.

I don't have fuji, nor am I likely any time soon. Not that I wouldn't like to. $$$$$$$$$$

But, I would very much like an images only, forum. I do scan the forums, for interesting discussions about gear. But sometimes I am not interested in more gear talk. And to wade through all the threads, trolling for nice photographs is just too much.

I have peeked in occasionally in the Fuji X Forum and there is LESS posts per day there in a week than there is here in a day (and that's not very much compared to Mu43.com). I love it here. I wish it could be a little busier, but I'd never want it to turn into Mu43 site. I'm not sure there would be enough Fuji users to fill and use a whole separate site, but I could be wrong.

If you ever get around to the image only website, I'd love to hang out there. The perfect cure for GAS.

I'm ok with it as there is and I'd be OK with an added Fuji forum. Although SC itself might be pretty sleepy if all of the Fuji discussions went elsewhere. I was on the X-forum a little bit in the relatively early days of the X100, but it never seemed like it was going anywhere and I fizzled out on it - don't know how active it is these days except based on what Luke just noted. So, whatever you do with the site(s), I'm there. Or here or where-ever. I'd also love the images only thing, but I agree that it might be tough to reach critical mass without a gear component. Good luck with that. I'm there too, whenever there's a there there....

-Ray

Thanks, all. I've gotten some good feedback in PM as well as in this thread, and I think the Fuji thing is a go :). Does Xtogs.com seem like a good name? I don't want to put "Fuji" in there, because Fuji could always make us change names later.

Don't have any Fuji stuff so no real views on whether there should be a separate site. An image forum - absolutely. But, I'm not sure it would work. It's hard to think of any image forum that works. Most image sharing sites and forums rarely get past 'great shot' type of commentary. And most of us aren't very good at saying 'bad shot'. So if there is no real meaningful response to images it's not really forum. I would love it to work - I'm just not sure how you make it work. Personally, I've been losing interest in gear talk for a long time and don't really bother with it any more, but that's just me. Clearly a lot of people do like it, or like having gear and images combined.

Hmm I don't really understand what Xtogs stands for. The X is obviously for the X series, but what is / are togs?
I'd love a pure photograph oriented website, although like olli said, it would need a bit more "spice" than the image forums here on SC to keep it from fizzling out into a comatose state...

Photo only site sounds a nice idea to get away from gear talk. You've mentioned it before and I've been curious how that would work out. I fear though that flickr beat you to it with that idea!

I'd like to see more of documentary style photography and the stories behind them. I've got a huge book sitting beside me, 75 years the very best of life. Now if you could produce a forum with that kind of stuff, then I think you would have visitors. Darn forgot his name, Brady I think, on mu-43 ran a thread once with a snapshot of his life and it was really interesting. A forum with those kind of threads would definitely draw me in.

As long as people don't think it means "ex photographers" :).

Maybe something like this....

xtogslogo.png

Yeah that true

Or maybe you could make one global page where you can choose
nex forum, mu43, SC, fuji X, ... and what would be great is merging accounts (so not a seperate account on each forum)
But I don't know if that's easy to do (technicaly)

I like this idea! One account gets you into the entire SC network!

Back