Memory Cards Eye-Fi curiosity

Fuddlestack

Regular
I just installed and hooked up to a Sandisk 8 Gb Eye-Fi card, which pairs successfully with my Android tablet. This took considerably more BS&T than it takes to read, but now all my idiotic test shots are gobbling up tablet memory like fun.

Funny thing, though. The tablet contains a WiFi analyzer app which can't see the card in the camera, even when it's transferring images. The WiFi Settings menu does see it, but gives it a "not in range".

Curiouser and curiouser.

My eyefi card is a bit fussy to connect. Involves a bit of switching on and off to get it started.
But i know it will work if i need it to. And i'm happy with it.

I'm supposed to get a free Toshiba version of an Eye-Fi, if I actually move fast enough to send in the proof of purchase from my E-PM2 before the offer runs out this month. Somehow, I just can't seem to move it up my priority list.

There are several drawbacks to these things:

- there's a delay between shooting and the transfer beginning: you have to leave both tablet and camera switched on for a minute or two. Ouch, my battery.

- upload from the tablet to the Eye-Fi Center site seems to be unavoidable

- every shot on the camera gets transferred. OK, I do this with a card reader anyway but it costs nothing, and ditching the duds on the computer is easier. I don't like to delete anything but the obvious failures in the camera, because the odd sub-standard shot can be made into something really good, and because it takes time - I shoot without instant review and I can't keep track of everything. All this means that the card will blindly gobble battery and bandwidth to upload buckets of dreck.

If I hadn't had an odd Amazon token looking for a home I wouldn't have bought the thing, and now I rather think I'd have better put the €€€ towards a lens.

Aye well.

There is (I think) a way of stopping upload to the net. I opted out of that from day one. My card is in my GRD4. It has in the menu the ability to stop the card transmitting until you want it to.

Back