Micro 4/3 14mm, what's the difference?

Michael T

Top Veteran
Name
Michael
I'm considering a Panasonic 14mm and while checking Amazon I noticed the significant difference in price for apparently the same lens. The only difference I see is perhaps color. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why one is so much cheaper.

$302.34
Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix 14mm f/2.5 G Aspherical Lens for Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Cameras: Camera & Photo

$206.00
Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix 14mm f/2.5 G Aspherical Lens for Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Silver (+ Free 46 mm UV Filter): Camera & Photo

Hi Michael,

They seem to be the same lens. The more expensive one "ships from and is sold by Amazon.com", the less expensive one "ships from and sold by IDS Online Shop".

What this means in pratical terms, I have no idea.

I don't know if they are still available, but a lot of GF2 kits for the Asian markets were split and the 14mm lenses sold as a separate item. These were mostly sold through eBay for as low as $160 brand new but with no box. I notice that the more expensive lens you link to mentions a storage bag and Panasonic warranty which indicates that it is a boxed item. The cheaper lens mentions neither.

P.S. The 14mm was made in both a black and a dark silver finish but the difference is purely cosmetic.

Back