Fuji An interesting perspective on the X10

D

dixeyk

The X10 blog

I just quickly skimmed it but from the looks of it this is someone shooting in much more CHALLENGING conditions that I ever will (and I don't mean low light). Fascinating stuff.

Very interesting, both from a content point of view and a gear pov. I'm still looking for my ultimate Africa set-up. Good to know that the X10 can stand a lot of abuse despite not being weathersealed.

Well, Kevin, I don't think you'd want to hear any testimonials from me about the torture test I put the X10 through at this point... :eek: And I honestly didn't. But my FIRST X10, the orbular model when they were brand new, I put through its paces and it never gave me any trouble. There have been spot reports of the OVF coming loose and sometimes the lens-twist not turning the camera on or off properly or at least responsively. But I never had any issue with any of that. And I did a LOT of shooting with that first one I had. This one I babied, though, so you can rest assured. OTOH, that means if it had any weaknesses I probably wouldn't have found 'em. Ahhh, double edged sword I guess...

-Ray

Well, Kevin, I don't think you'd want to hear any testimonials from me about the torture test I put the X10 through at this point... :eek: And I honestly didn't. But my FIRST X10, the orbular model when they were brand new, I put through its paces and it never gave me any trouble. There have been spot reports of the OVF coming loose and sometimes the lens-twist not turning the camera on or off properly or at least responsively. But I never had any issue with any of that. And I did a LOT of shooting with that first one I had. This one I babied, though, so you can rest assured. OTOH, that means if it had any weaknesses I probably wouldn't have found 'em. Ahhh, double edged sword I guess...

-Ray

I'm good with being a Guinea pig. Besides, I think some of the QC issues were because it was the initial run of the product. Either way it'll be fun. FWIW I used to own a Fiat and I managed to keep that thing running (I loved that little yellow sedan) so my tolerance for weird product design and questionable build quality is pretty high.

The Fiat 500 has an excellent crash test rating in Europe, but I suppose that's tested in European scenarios. The chances of getting in a collision with a Dodge Ram here are pretty much negligible. Sad state of affairs that other people's automotive choices practically force you to drive a large and heavy car too if you want to be safe!

Thankfully, using small, lightweight cameras is becoming an ever more viable option thanks to cameras like the X10 :) [/subtle attempt to get back on topic]

Back