Micro 4/3 Flash for GF1 What are you using? Flash built in or attached flash?

Karen Cole

Regular
In considering a flash attachment for my GF1, but am totally confused by the options available. The Panasonic FL220 doesn't swivel or tilt but price is nice, the FL360 tilts and is priced ok and last but not least is the FL500, the most expensive of the lot. There are complaints that the 360 and the 500 are too big, making use of the camera with them attached difficult.

I definitely want a flash that tilts and that will work on the hotshoe with the camera. Are there 3rd party flashes out there that work well with the GF1 and are not so big as to over-power the camera and make holding it difficult?

Also, interested in what you may be using and why?

I would recommend the Nissin Di466 Four Thirds if you are after a low cost flash that will just about all you need. Fairly compact for a bounce head flash. It doesn't swivel but you can use it off camera with the built in flash of the GF1 as a trigger as it has a built in optical slave mode which works very well. Takes 4x AA batteries and has a quick recycle time and manually adjustable power output.
Also has a built in diffuser and a small bounce card. Fully covers my 9-18mm zoom with the diffuser and perfectly matched to the 14-42 zoom without it. The head power zooms with a change of focal lenght.

It costs less than $100 from eBay. A bit more if you insist on the white version.

Nissin Digital Flash: Di466 for Four Thirds Introduction

I liked my Nissin Di466 so much, I bought a Nissin Di622 Mk II for my Nikon.

Peter
Thank you! I followed the link you gave me and the flash seems to be more or less exactly what I'm looking for in a price range that is more than reasonable. I haven't ordered it yet, but have it on my watch list in EBay for future purchase. Thank you for pointing it out to me..it was one of those I had not heard of or knew anything about. Thanks
Karen

Back