Film Two sides to magic

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
I find that with film there is still so much magic, but I was recently reminded that magic has two sides.

What's that old adage..."thank God for small mercies". Well man, I'd never have thought my heart would start again around this time yesterday. I'd been keen for my weekend to arrive so I could process last week's roll taken during a very nice stroll. It all went pear-shaped from the start where the reels kept mushing the film and they just would not load (for the non-filmers out there....this is me trying to load the 35mm film onto the reels for developing in tank). I was relieved when, with a little force, the reels went into the can and the lid was popped on.
Processed.
Washed.
Hung.
Drying.
Cardiac Arrest.
The film folded in on itself within the reels during development and the roll was stained with sprocket holes, undeveloped in some creases, and burned in others. Just tragic!!!

I salvaged a few frames....and have learned a lesson or two - about film, magic, and myself.
NB: better viewed as intended on Flickriver...bigger and on a black background. Click images.

7706534422_f6613e0a26_c.jpg

place at rest by stillshunter, on Flickr

7706532582_f73632262d_z.jpg

light on a small fall by stillshunter, on Flickr

7706590704_b3e88ae08f_c.jpg

towards home by stillshunter, on Flickr

7706528532_a8dd10593a.jpg

my world through a straw by stillshunter, on Flickr

these are so cool and unique that I can't pick any as faves. Your story sounds heart stopping.
Thanks brother. Some frames are just indecipherable, while others you can make out the content and this is just too heart-wrenching. But, again, on the other hand I'd struggle to make what shots I did save with anything but film....well I'm sure some smart-alec can do it all in photoshop but that's just not me. Minimal PP, virtually right off the reel.
P.S. Love your signature block mate:
"I just realized that every photo I have ever taken is totally bereft of balloons." - Luke (8/1/2012)
Thought I'd paste it as I'm sure in a week or so you would have moved on to a balloon filled existence.

do they have the old saying on your side of the pond "Don't cry over spilled milk"?
Don't worry about the ones that got away....you got some real bits of magic here. I'll have to go try to re-create something like them in Photoshop:tongue:

Some lovely effects even if unintended, though No.1 could be one I'd have framed on purpose - a beautiful beautiful image.

And there must be some morphic resonance going - on as this was the first post I read after emerging from an hour spent salvaging a roll of Fomapan 100 that jammed solid on the reel while loading it ... not quite as heartsinking an experience as yours Mark, but we'll see tomorrow morning when I've run 'em through the scanner :)

Some lovely effects even if unintended, though No.1 could be one I'd have framed on purpose - a beautiful beautiful image.
Thanks Paul. Yeah this frame was safe - only about 4 came out unscathed and this was one. Funny, it was one of those images that I was happy with on the spot. You know the feeling when you lift your finger off and just know the shot is there? I also felt this with the "my world through a straw", but I could only salvage half the frame. The composition is not at all what I intended :(

And there must be some morphic resonance going - on as this was the first post I read after emerging from an hour spent salvaging a roll of Fomapan 100 that jammed solid on the reel while loading it ... not quite as heartsinking an experience as yours Mark, but we'll see tomorrow morning when I've run 'em through the scanner :)
Hey Rupert Sheldrake would be proud....man I haven't studied him since uni all those years ago. Thanks for reminding me.

I've got my fingers-crossed for you Paul. I had a feeling it all went awry, but post-fix, I looked through the reel while it was still loaded it looked fine. It was only after the negatives had dried that I could assess the real damage. Having said that I found I could salvage more once scanned. Again my thought's are with you...and that Nutty Professor (Sheldrake).

Back